Q. I am not able to pull my foreskin completely and have redness around my foreskin. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 19 years old. My query is that I have read that a guy must pull back his foreskin by the age of 17. But I still cannot pull it completely back because of a small sort of connection between the tip of my gland and the foreskin (probably a photo would be helpful to explain better). I am afraid that this might cause some trouble in the future. Is it normal, or do I have to do something? Also, there is some redness around my foreskin's tip, causing discomfort or irritation while putting on my underwear and masturbating.

#

The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you provided shows that you have a band at the lower part of your meatus. It needs to be resected and corrected surgically. Then automatically, all will be well. But the only option is corrective surgery, and there is no medication or cream to fix it. It is a small surgical procedure, and success chances are excellent. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

Thank you for your reply.

So doctor, what is the name of that surgery? And is it mandatory, or can I skip it? Because I heard people telling me that it will break and get normal once I have intercourse. Are there any chances of infection or any other problem if surgery is not done?

#

Thanks for the follow-up. The surgery is not having a specific name. It is a small reconstruction of the frenulum or refashioning procedure. It is not urgent to do it; you can do it at any time you want. The concept that it will break after intercourse is wrong. It will not and might cause you trouble even during sex. So once it causes you symptoms or interferes with your sexual life, then you need the procedure to be done. I hope my answer is helpful. If you need anything else to ask, get back to me.

Kind regards.

|