Q. Are these patches behind the ear and on the back of head due to tinea capitis?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Do you think I have tinea capitis? I am attaching my shaved head photograph. I am currently using Ketoconazole 2 % shampoo.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, it is looking like tinea but not tinea capitis. It is tinea corporis (corporis - body parts) spreading on to your scalp. There is a round rash with active edges and clear center on your back of neck extending on to your scalp.

I mentioned it is "looking like" because even seborrheic dermatitis also looks similar. Usually, seborrheic dermatitis is seen behind the ear, eyebrows, scalp, and neck sometimes.

Scraping from the rash and KOH mount under the microscope is necessary to confirm the diagnosis. Seborrheic dermatitis and tinea both are fungal infections but caused by different fungus. Seborrheic dermatitis is severe dandruff involving facial skin and neck in simple words.

I would suggest you continue using Ketoconazole shampoo, every day to wash your scalp. Use Miconazole gel, apply over the affected area, over the neck, and behind the ears twice a day for three weeks. This helps for both the fungus.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|