Q. My mother continually hears some sounds in both ears. Why does this occur?

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My mother is facing a problem for almost now two months. She was complaining about continuous hearing of sound in both ears. She is 67 years old and had done the complete audiogram checkup, which was completely fine. The doctors have told her to meet them after three months. She feels uncomfortable with the continuous sound and wants to consult if she requires a brain MRI to know if there is no injury. The medicine prescribed to her was Otocap, and she is not finding any recovery from that. She is currently taking Macsart for blood pressure.

Kindly suggest.

#

Considering the age and the comorbid condition of blood pressure I suspect hearing loss in high frequencies. Please share the audiogram report with me. For the time being increase the intake of carrots,tomatoes which has lycopene in it. Neurobion forte is a neurovitamin which can be taken once per day after food. Avoid noisy situations. Resound Tinnitus relief app should be used on speaker mode which has so many multi frequency sound collections. Lastly get MRI of brain done so as to avoid anything else.

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

#

Without any further delay, let her use binaural digital programmable hearing aids, which will be programmed according to her audiogram. RIC (Receiver In Canal) style of hearing aid should be used in this pattern of hearing loss. When the amplified sound is adequate automatically, she will not perceive the internal sound anymore as the amplified sound will give her clarity and mask the inner sound. Follow the other instructions, as I have mentioned earlier.

|