Q. Why do I have tinnitus and how can this be treated?

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai
Published on Apr 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 29, 2019

I am 21 and suffering from tinnitus from last four months. The sound in the ears is not constant. It is changing. Sometimes, it is loud enough that I can hear it even in a crowded place and sometimes so low I cannot detect in a normal environment and the most important of all with a loud noise like train horn it is taking a peak and when the sound goes off it comes back to normal. My doctor told me this is due to cold and prescribed some antibiotics. But it did not work. So he told me to visit an ENT specialist. After visiting an ENT specialist, he told me my ears are fine but I should do an audiogram. And also given me some antibiotics. There was no hearing loss in the audiogram. And the medicines also did not work. Then I again visited the doctor. This time he told me there is nothing to worry about and sent me back home. What I want to ask is, if there are any other tests that could detect why this is happening and how this could be treated?

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You are suffering from fluctuating tinnitus for four months as you have said.

Tinnitus (ringing sensation in the ear) may be due to problems of the ear or problems not related to the ear.

Ear problems causing tinnitus are generally associated with hearing loss. But that is ruled out in your case as your audiogram is normal.

Some investigations need to be carried out:

1. Complete blood count.
  2. Lipid profile.
  3. Serum TSH.
  4. To rule out any vascular lesion in the ear (though rare) I would suggest an MR angiography of the head-neck vessels.
  • Ear causes (unlikely in your case, as audiogram is normal): sensorineural hearing loss due to any cause, otosclerosis, Meniere’s disease.
  • Non-ear causes: anemia, dyslipidemia, diabetes, vascular lesions of the head-neck.
  • Very rarely, some lesions of the blood vessels in the ear may cause tinnitus.
  • In many cases, a definite cause of the tinnitus cannot be found.

I would suggest you go for the investigations as suggested. If no cause is found, you should go for tinnitus retraining therapy. An audiologist may help.

Avoid loud sounds, have a diet comprising of green vegetables and fruits containing beta-carotene (mango, papaya, etc.).

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Tinnitus - a Cause for Concern

Article Overview: This article gives a brief overview of tinnitus, the various risk factors, the diagnostic tools available and the basic plan of management. Read Article

Tinnitus is a very common symptom encountered in day-to-day life. A person often describes it as a 'ringing sensation' in the ears or may perceive it as hissing, clicking, whistling, rustling sounds, in the absence of external sounds. It may be intermittent or continuous and is present in one or bot...  Read Article

What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take pr...  Read Full »

Tinnitus - ringing sounds in the ears

Article Overview: Tinnitus is the presence of noise or sound in the ear. It can occur due to diseases in the ear or any systemic diseases like high blood pressure. The management involves a thorough hearing testing and further treatment based on the cause. Read Article

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Tinnitus is ringing sounds in the ears. The person experiencing it may describe it as roaring, humming or a hissing sound in the ears. This kind of noise can be very annoying and disturbing to the one facing this problem. Sometimes it may be so severe, as to disturb the sleep of a person. Causes of...  Read Article