Q. There is a giant hole in my left tonsil with little blood. Is it an emergency?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2021

I have had trouble with my tonsils my whole life, and they have always been enormous. I have had on and off bouts of tonsil stones. There is now a giant hole in my left tonsil. Way bigger than normal tonsil crypts. It is so big that it almost looks like the tonsil is splitting into halves. A little blood lasts few days, and white spots build up inside the more fleshy hole texture than tonsil stone. I see my ENT in eight days and just wondering if this is more of an emergency?

#

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. You need to worry about absolutely nothing, and I did have a look at the picture you have sent. Your tonsils are enlarged ( I would say almost grade four), and if you have been having issues with it, I would suggest removal in your case. Tonsils are removed by a procedure called the tonsillectomy, which is done under general anesthesia. Before the procedure, make sure you take a good course of antibiotics. I usually give pill Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxycillin and Potassium Clavulanate) one pill three times a day for ten days. Along with the antibiotics, please do saltwater gargles eight to ten times a day for the next two weeks. This reduces any ongoing infection in the substance of the tonsil and also reduces the inflammation to a certain extent. The procedure is safe and can be done through different techniques depending on the hospital's availability of equipment and the surgeon's expertise or choice of technique. This is definitely not an emergency, and there is absolutely nothing that you need to be panic. I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to know, please do inform us, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Warm regards.

|