Q. What are the little white lumps at the back of my throat?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I am a 27 year old female. Yesterday, I noticed little white lumps at the back of my throat. The one behind the palatopharyngeal arch is red, and another one on the back of my throat, on each side, which is red in color with little white things on them. What is it? I do not know how long I have had it for. I do not drink or smoke. Is it throat or mouth cancer?

#

Here in your case, a step-wise approach should be considered. According to the history provided, you have red swelling on posterior pharynx with white dots over that.

Hence, it could be a tonsillar enlargement or posterior pharynx mucosa swelling or a mass. It can be a chronic infection as well. I suggest you get the following investigations done.

1. Posterior pharynx examination.
  2. Lymph node palpation, especially in the cervical area.
  3. Throat swab and send for culture.

If needed, your doctor will give you an antibiotic course after examination. Salt water gargle is beneficial in such a case. If the inflammatory swelling is more, then a short-term steroid might be given for five days.

If no improvement occurs and if it seems like a mass on examination, then a biopsy should be done and sent for histopathology examination, to rule out the nature of the lesion.

Hope your concern is solved. Consult an ENT specialist for examination with keeping all this in mind.

For further queries consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Is it cancer? I have white sack looking things behind my tonsil, and they look like blood vessels. I am sending you pictures of the lumps present behind the palatopharyngeal arch and on the back of my throat. Kindly see the pictures and let me know if they are cancer.

#

I had seen the images that you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Here is my opinion regarding your case.

It does not look like a malignant growth. It could be granular pharyngitis like inflammation along with tonsillar enlargement.

• What are your clinical symptoms? Do you have difficulty in swallowing, throat pain, or a fever?

I suggest the following.

1. Try taking Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid combination drug for five days, twice daily.
  2. Salt water gargle for three times a day.
  3. Vitamin C lozenges are useful.
  4. To avoid gastritis, try taking Pantoprazole tablet for a week.

Your lymph node should be palpated, and the following investigations should be done.

1. CBC (complete blood count).
  2. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  3. Throat swab and ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer if needed.

Consult an ENT specialist for examination with keeping my answer in mind. Clinically the posterior pharynx examination should be done again after a week.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|