Q. Why am I getting recurrent abscess in a filled tooth?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Jan 02, 2019

I had an infection in my tooth and it was treated with a filling after a course of antibiotics. After the filling, an abscess reoccurred twice which was treated with antibiotics. It seemed to settle for a while and then I could feel a pain and pressure inside the tooth. Now a small pimple like spot has developed on the inner side of my gum at the top of the tooth and it drains pus. Is this another abscess?

#

I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. As per your history, it seems to me that you are having recurrent apical periodontitis. If the filling is still there, it needs to be removed. The recurrent apical abscess is because of this infectious tooth. Either it needs root canal treatment or extraction.

Root canal treatment is the treatment of choice according to my opinion. If you have any X-ray or you can upload a picture too to get a proper treatment plan from my side. If you have this pimple like abscess you may need an antibiotic course too.

How can I get rid of pain caused by broken tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having acute pain in gum and tooth on the left-hand side and a few days ago the left back corner tooth broke. Kindly suggest me how can I get rid of this pain and strengthen my teeth as it broke without and proper reason. Dentist advised me to take antibiotics for five days but i...  Read Full »

I drank cold drinks before going to my dentist. Could it prevent my tooth from getting numb?

Query: Hi doctor, I broke a tooth, so I went to the dentist, and I was very upfront about not having a root canal treatment. I preferred to get it extracted rather. She numbed my tooth and said she was going to fix it. After she had finished, she said I was going to need a root canal treatment. Now my too...  Read Full »

Are my lips raw and swollen due to allergy from tooth fillings?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having lots of problems in my mouth and the VA clinic is struggling to help me. I am a 36 year old male and have no significant health issues besides this. I am really struggling because my lips are constantly raw, peeling, and swollen. They also burn and hurt almost always. I have...  Read Full »