Q. I have tooth cavities. How to prevent further infection?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Sep 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2019

In my whole life I am known for eating candy and not brushing my teeth as much as I should. Today, I went to the dentist and said that I have nine cavities. This concerns me because I am not sure how long I had the cavities. This is my first time I am visiting a dentist. I read an article on the internet about how cavities or tooth decay can lead to life threatening bacterial infections if it is not treated. My dentist advised me to get fillings for the decay. If I get nine fillings, would that prevent a serious infection or infection from happening? Do serious infections only happen if it is not treated? What are the chances of getting a serious bacteria infection after I get fillings and have good hygiene? Would it be rare? Even if I have nine cavities, can I still easily prevent infection throughout my life? How to know that I have an infection in the gum or teeth area before it would spread? I am going to get my whole mouth cleaning tomorrow. Also, I am getting an MRI tomorrow for a headache. I am afraid that my headache can be the cause of infection from teeth spreading to the brain? Please clarify my doubts.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• Yes, by getting the tooth filled you can prevent further decay of the teeth. It would prevent any spread of infection.
  • Yes, dental infection can get life-threatening through septicemia (bacteria in blood), which can go through the maxillary sinus to the brain. But, it happens in an advanced infection, which is left untreated, even after getting all the symptoms like pain, swelling and pus formation.
  • An experienced dentist can indeed find out any infection present in the teeth by visual inspection and getting an x-ray done for confirmation.
  • Filling all the nine teeth will definitely prevent further infection if the filling stays there without getting dislodged.
  • The headache can be caused even by mild infection and swelling of a cavitated tooth. It does not mean that the infection has spread to the brain.
  • If you maintain oral hygiene from now, then the chance of infection is very less. So, do not worry about it.
  • If the cavity is very deep, then the dentist might suggest root canal treatment of the tooth or teeth before restoring it with filling.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

After RCT treatment, how did the infection get spread to the jaw?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a root canal by a general dentist. I was told that the tooth was infected and going through with the procedure would be my best. I consented and had my treatment. I was done with the treatment and came home with full of instructions given to me. I had Penicillin and Ibuprofen for ev...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tinu Thampy
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the radiograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your tooth infection had extended beyond the root apex and entered the underlying bone, and it becomes a periapical abscess. The tooth roots are much flared also. Root canal treatment is a conserva...  Read Full

What treatment will help sensitive tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having sensitivity in the upper right tooth. There is no ditch or cavity but I feel the sensitivity while eating sweets. What could be the treatment option for it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sometimes any cavity or decay is not seen clinically but there can be some infection or carious activity going on inside the tooth that can be detected in X-ray or on examination. Considering the symptoms following could be the treatment options. Filling of the tooth if...  Read Full

Following RCT and crown, my gums are swollen. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal performed before four months and a gold crown was fitted before two months. The tooth number is 14. The tooth had a crack in it a few years ago and finally became irreversibly inflamed and required a root canal. My tooth is still sensitive to pressure while chewing a...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand it. In such condition, I would like to tell you that the pain that is present in the gum between the teeth number 13 and 14 is due to food impaction near the margin of the restored crown. It relieved once after scaling accordi...  Read Full