Q. My 2 years old baby has a painless greenish color tooth. Kindly help.

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

A 2 years old baby has a tooth problem. No pain but it looks odd, like a greenish color and kind of decay. I have attached the picture for your reference. Kindly help us.

#

I have gone through the query and the attached picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This tooth has a decay (cavity), and this can be cleaned and filled when you visit a dentist. But in this current pandemic, I would advise you to wait till your place becomes safe. Once it is safe, kindly fix an appointment with your nearest dentist or a pedodontist for the treatment. Sticky and sugary foods can cause tooth decay. Especially night feed.

Meanwhile, we can follow some simple steps to prevent this cavity from getting deeper:

1) Feed her enough water after every meal and snack. This helps to wash off any food remnants from the teeth and the gums.

2) Wipe her teeth thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth dipped in warm water or use a finger brush to remove the food deposits after every meal.

3) Avoid bottles or breastfeeding her just before sleep. If you feed at night, do the routine wiping of her teeth and the gums after the feeding.

4) Avoid or limit sticky and sugary foods like chocolates, toffees, biscuits, cream, and baked foods.

This helps prevent future decays. Practice night-time brushing as a family.

I hope this was helpful.

|