Q. I have pain in my lower left back tooth and medicines are not helping me. Why?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 23, 2020

I have a problem with the second last toothache of left side lower jaw and also headache. What can be the problem? And the medicine used by me does not give me any relief Mox 500, Limcee, Oxalgin. (twice daily for three days). Then the other dentists suggested me these medicine Ordent, Seradic P, Pan-DSR). But also no permanent relief from toothache and headaches. What can be the problem and solution?

#

I have gone through your query and understood your concern. Unfortunately, taking medicines is not a permanent solution to dental pain.

There are several factors that cause dental pain and associated headache. The most common cause is tooth decay. However, a clear clinical picture or an x-ray will help determine what is causing your pain.

When decay reaches the nerve of the tooth, it starts to give out symptoms. The nerve which supplies the tooth also supplies that side of the face. Hence the referred (associated) pain.

Taking painkillers will help control the pain to some extent but it does nothing to cure the decay. It can only be manually treated by removing them. You may require an x-ray procedure to determine the extent of the decay and if the nerve of the tooth is involved, a root canal treatment is generally done to remove infections and decay.

Since it is the time of the pandemic, dentists are providing emergency care only and some dentists prefer telephonic consultation prior to dental visit and treatment. If the pain is unbearable even after taking medicines, it is best to call up a dentist providing emergency care and get it treated.

|