Q. Is there a possibility to save my molar tooth?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I am 18 years old. A few days ago, I had a toothache on my molar teeth and have mobility when touched. I have a big hole in that tooth from my childhood. I guess the black circle is the vein of the tooth. I could not afford to get an implant tooth. I had pain in that tooth a year back and then now. Is it possible to cure with rebuilding this tooth instead of removing it? Here is the picture for your reference.

#

• From your attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is clear that this tooth is decayed with loss of large crown structure. The decay has also spread to the roots.
  •  As you have mentioned, there is some mobility on touching the tooth and some loss of bone.
  • The tooth can be restored with root canal therapy to remove infection and periodontal treatment to reduce its mobility.
  • It is better to get treated soon. If allowed to progress, then it will need a molar extraction and replacement.
  • After root canal treatment, there are cheaper replacement options for crowns or bridges.
  • Hence, to know that this tooth can be restored, I suggest you an important small radiograph called IOPA (intra oral periapical radiograph) of the area. You can get it done at any dental clinic and revert back.

Long term curious untreated decay.

1. IOPA.
2. Check for the amount of mobility, whether it is sideways or up and down.

Chronic pulpitis with periodontitis.

1. Root canal treatment.
2. Periodontal treatment.
3. Scaling.

Follow up with the x-ray to a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|