Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Kindly suggest me a way to restore my tooth.

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have neglected my dental health for a long time. I am a 62 year old married male. I have had several teeth extracted. I lived with a couple teeth whose caps have broken off on my left side and a few molars on the right for chewing. I am suffering from hypertension and is controlled with medicines over 10 years. I am also a known diabetic and it has been controlled with drugs and diet for the last few years. My main problem is moderate neuropathy in hands and feet for more than 12 years. I am on Neurontin and Fentanyl patch.

Six months ago, I went to my dentist with the right top rear molar sharp pain. She filled it, but was not sure whether it would need a root canal. About two months later, the pain started and this time as a more typical, throbbing toothache and she decided a root canal was appropriate. I was surprised with the amount of pain in the recovery. The pain was more diffuse than the original, sort of like the pain from a loosened tooth. I complained and re-visited the dentist. She did an x-ray and said that she did not miss any roots or went too deep. But, she saw something and she described it as an injury in the spot next to it and that is where a tooth had been extracted years before. She gave me a course of antibiotics, just in case and recommended to consult an oral surgeon. But, I decided to wait and see if it resolved. It slowly got a bit better, but in a month or so started to get worse. So, I went to the oral surgeon and he said that he saw nothing wrong and suggested I could be feeling pain from a tooth on the bottom. For a number of reasons, I do not believe this.

I am now at a point where the pain is endurable, but annoying. The pain changes over time. Sometimes, it abates almost completely and there is no pain at all. While the tooth is still slightly cold sensitive, there are no other symptoms. This lasts for about a few days to over a week at a time. Most of the time there is an annoying sensitivity, high sensitivity to cold, pushing the tooth to the side with my tongue is mildly painful, sort of like a loosened tooth but chewing down on it does not give me any pain. There is a full time ache and that is most pronounced at night. The symptoms are basically the same as the moderate pain, just more intense with the addition of it feels deeper and more diffuse. It sometimes feels like it goes up into the jaw or sinus. But, I really need to keep this tooth in order to have a half-functional mouth. Please help.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist


Welcome to

  • By reading about your symptoms, it seems that your root canal treated tooth is the one causing the problem.
  • The rate of success of such root canal treatment is lesser in old age and also if you are diabetic.
  • The only meaningful solution seems to remove the teeth and place denture which would give you a functional jaw. You need to sacrifice your original teeth to stop the discomfort and consult your dentist for dentures.
  • The other possible solution is to repeat root canal if your endodontist agrees.
  • As you get older, it will get more difficult for you to get dentures. So, it is better to think about it now.
  • For more detailed analysis, kindly send pictures of your both jaws. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I want straight teeth.Please help.
Is root canal treatment necessary if there is no pain in the tooth?
I have extreme pain in the root canal treated tooth. Will I lose my tooth?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Shall I opt flap surgery and bone graft for my loose tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe toothache and loose teeth. I used to chew tobacco for the past 10 years. I am getting severe tooth pain often and some blister in the gums. My upper sixth tooth got loose and was removed three years ago. I have been to a local dentist and they advised deep scaling, root...  Read Full »

How can I relieve toothache due to dislodged filling in an incomplete root canal treated tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have toothache. I have an unfinished root canal for about eight months, temporary filling has also fallen out. Now I am with severe pain. Unable to drink, eat, etc. What should I do to relieve the pain? OTC is not working.  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.