Q. My sperm looks watery. Will it create any problem?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Published on Mar 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2019

I am a 31 year old unmarried male. Over the last few months my sperm looks watery whenever I ejaculate. Will it create any problem? Also my erection is not like earlier. Kindly advise me doctor.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I have read and understood your problem.

The fluid that male organ secrete during ejaculation is called semen. Semen is a visible liquid. It contains millions of invisible microscopic male counterpart of female eggs called sperms. It does not matter if your semen is more watery, the sperm count in semen should be normal and that can be detected by semen analysis, which is done at a pathology laboratory.

Erection problem appears to be due to stress or anxiety. So, do relaxation exercise. However, to exclude other cause you need to do some blood tests like sugar and hormones. Stop smoking if you smoke. Check your BP (blood pressure). If you are taking any medicine or nutritional supplement on regular basis then it may be due to side effect of that.

For further information consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

I stopped smoking three years back. My BP is usually in the range of 110/70 mmHg and I am not taking any regular medicines. Does masturbation affect the erection? Is it curable? What blood tests I need to check? Please suggest.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

Masturbation has no bad effect on erection. If you can masturbate then it means that your erection is fine. You can do blood tests such as postprandial blood sugar, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), prolactin and testosterone.

For further doubts consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

As per your reply, I have done blood tests. Please find the attachment for the test results.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

your Sugar PP (postprandial), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), and testosterone are normal but prolactin is high 58.67. It should be less than 15.2, it is causing your problem.

It is a hormone secreted from pituitary gland in brain. You will need treatment with Cabergolin, for which you have to get prescription from a doctor.

If you have a headache or visual disturbances then you may need a CT scan of pituitary fossa (brain). Prolactin may be high due to stress. If you are taking any medicine or nutritional supplement on regular basis then it may be due to the side effect of that.

I am using power glass but not regularly. Sometimes my power gets disturbed when I play with my mobile phone otherwise my vision is normal. I used to get a headache very rarely. For the prescription which specialist should I consult? Please suggest me.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

Power glass is not a problem.

If you can get an Endocrinologist then you can see him, otherwise, an MD physician or even a Gynecologist can prescribe Cabergoline to reduce prolactin level.

Again I have taken a blood test after stopping some medicines. In this report, prolactin is showing normal. Please find the attached report for your reference.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

Yes, your prolactin is normal in this report. Now you had mentioned 'after stopping some medicines', and earlier you mentioned 'you are not taking any medicines.' So the medicines that you stopped probably caused your problem. Please wait three months to recover.

Will Masturbation cause Premature Ejaculation

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old unmarried male. I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I am masturbation from 13 years od age using sex toys. I am not lasting more than two minutes. I am taking antidepressants and doing squeeze technique. But, it does not help me. Kindly suggest medicine for prema...  Read Full »

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 72-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 6 inches and a weight of 78 kg. I have been on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Amloz 5 mg for two years for hypothyroidism. I am feeling fatigued and have an intense appetite. I have lost fertility for the last one year. My ESR value is 41. I also ...  Read Full »

Would my low sperm count have an adverse effect on IVF and ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a low sperm count of 1.9 million. My blood work shows that I have a high FSH. Our doctor highly suggested that I get genetic testing done before we proceed with an IVF or an ICSI. I would like to know why he would suggest that.  Read Full »

Ask an Andrologist Now