Q. My TSH level was 11. 768 U/mL, do I have to start taking Synthroid again?

Answered by Dr. Swaraj S W and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Tsh Level or Hypothyroidism? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I had a thyroid test three years back, and my levels were 7.043 U/mL, so I was put on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. After experiencing some side effects from the Synthroid drug, I discussed alternatives with an endocrinologist. He advised me to stop my medication and retest after six weeks. When I retested, my levels were 2.7 U/mL. My primary care doctor advised I test once per year, just in case. I had a test this month, and the levels were at 11.768 U/mL. I do not want to take pills again if this is just a random fluctuation. Why would my levels fluctuate this way and what do you suggest my course of action be? I started my period the day of my blood test, could that have affected the levels? Synthroid made my hair fall out, and I do not want to take it if I do not have to. Please advise.