Q. My TSH level was 11. 768 U/mL, do I have to start taking Synthroid again?

Dr. Swaraj S W
Published on May 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a thyroid test three years back, and my levels were 7.043 U/mL, so I was put on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. After experiencing some side effects from the Synthroid drug, I discussed alternatives with an endocrinologist. He advised me to stop my medication and retest after six weeks. When I retested, my levels were 2.7 U/mL. My primary care doctor advised I test once per year, just in case. I had a test this month, and the levels were at 11.768 U/mL. I do not want to take pills again if this is just a random fluctuation. Why would my levels fluctuate this way and what do you suggest my course of action be? I started my period the day of my blood test, could that have affected the levels? Synthroid made my hair fall out, and I do not want to take it if I do not have to. Please advise.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• Levothyroxine is one of the safest medicine with as good as no side effects. Earlier you had subclinical hypothyroidism.
  • But, now it has progressed to overt hypothyroidism. You can still wait for another four weeks and repeat the test if it is more than 10 U/mL, you will need to take medicines.
  • Having your period does not change the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels much.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Kindly advise on the dose of Levothyroxine as I had a severe reaction for Nature-Thyroid?

Query: Hi doctor, I was switched to Nature-Throid. Within nine days, I had a severe reaction. It caused panic attacks at night, waking up in sweat and insomnia. Then, my naturopath took me off and said to go back to my Levothyroxine. I take 88 mcg daily and 25 mcg once a week. I just realized that I forgo...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

My blood report shows some abnormalities. How can they be corrected?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetic patient and I take Cetapin XR 1000 twice a day but, due to some irregularity and working stress my fasting sugar is now 140. In my test report, some other abnormalities were also present, which I have mentioned below: Triglyceride: 151 Cholesterol HDL direct: 35 Cholest...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now