Q. What does my chest x-ray reveal?

Dr. Rashi Verma
Published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 23, 2019

I have undergone chest x-ray. Report says that heart size, lungs vascular marking, soft tissue and bony cage appears normal. My doubt is am I free from TB? What is the outcome of the chest x-ray?

Dr. Rashi Verma

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read your query and gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

If a person has TB (tuberculosis), certain changes appear in the lungs which are detected by x-ray. The commonly seen changes are opacification of airspaces within the lung parenchyma. Any cavity in the lung lesion. Calcification can exist around a cavity and nodule with poorly defined margins.

Pleural effusion - presence of a significant amount of fluid within the lung space. Hilar or mediastinal lymphadenopathy (bilateral hilar lymphadenopathy) - enlargement of lymph nodes in the lungs. Your chest x-ray has been described as normal which means that there is no evidence of any disease according to the x-ray.

Will CAT scan show lung cancer if pleural effusion is present?

Query: Hello doctor, How likely is a CAT scan to show a lung cancer if a pleural effusion is present? My husband has a pleural effusion and has had four CT scans, none of which show any suspicious mass. Cytology records are inconclusive. I am wondering if the presence of the pleural effusion limits the vi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chitrangada
Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Detection of tumor on CAT (computed tomography) scan has nearly 85 to 90 percent efficacy which further increases to 95 percent in post-contrast studies. The pleasurable effusion can be due to numerous causes and in your case due to mucous plugging causing lung lobe col...  Read Full

I am having medullary sponge kidney calcification. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, Flank pain about nine weeks. Medullary sponge kidney calcification of kidney, past lung pneumothorax four times. Sinusitis surgery six times. No urine or blood infection. Normal kidney function. Chest pain sometimes. Fatigue, diarrhea only morning. Initial signs of clubbing. Currently...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The features of the ultrasound are of medullary sponge kidney which is a genetic disease with one in every 20000 affection. Although the condition is progressive, the kidney functions will be preserved for a long time. Urine gravels, stones, and infections are common th...  Read Full

Esophageal Cancer - a Rare, but Fatal Cancer

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed a rare carcinoma, carcinoma of the esophagus. Here I have explained the types, causes, clinical features, predisposition, investigations and treatment of the esophageal cancer. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Surgical Oncologist

Carcinoma of the esophagus is a rare, but fatal carcinoma. It is more prevalent in the males than in females. It is commonly seen in the lower socioeconomic group. Types of Esophageal Carcinoma: The two main types of esophageal cancer are, Squamous cell carcinoma - incidence is reduci...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now