Q. Are we undertaking the right treatment for ankle injury?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

My mother had an ankle injury and she cannot walk. She fell down inside the house while walking and her leg is twisted. We have subsequently taken an x-ray and I have attached the x-ray for your reference. Please help me.

#

• Your mother's x-ray grossly appears to be normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears as a case of ankle sprain.
  • Standard treatment for which is RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) therapy.
  • It is rest the limb as much as possible, apply ice packs to the ankle region, compression bandage after ice therapy and if possible ankle brace to be applied.
  • If ankle brace is not available, then ask your local orthopedician for POP - plaster of Paris slab.
  • Movement can be started after three to four weeks depending upon the examination findings.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I am specifically asking the same because I have shown it to a doctor locally who claims it as a fracture. Thus, the leg was wrapped in a cast. I am worried if it is indeed a fracture. I want to reconfirm the same. The doctor has prescribed the following medicines. I am attaching the copy of the prescription and the receipt that he has written. Please suggest me.

#

• Your doctor has not mentioned any fracture and has given the correct treatment. He has mentioned tenderness in the region asked for limb elevation and refrained the patient from bearing weight.
  • I have said in my first answer to go to an orthopedic surgeon for slab and in your case he has seen and opted to cast.
  • This decision is correct and depends upon the examination finding where he would have seen swelling to be minimal and gone forward with cast application.
  • Even, if there is a minor undisplaced fracture, doubtful suspected fracture or stress fracture which is not mentioned in prescription, the treatment will remain the same.
  • The doctor will require reassessment of the injury with cast removal at four weeks.

|