Q. My mother's fasting blood sugar was 403 mg/dL. What medicines should she take?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2020

My mother, age 48, has Hypertension. She's taking maintenance medicine: Amlodipine Besilate 10mg. At around 8 PM of 09/03/2020, she got her BP results from the clinic and it was 150/100. Yesterday she went to get her Fasting Blood Sugar test results and it was 403 mg/dL. Reference Range is from 74.0 to 105. What medicines should she take and what diet should she follow?

She occasionally feels dizzy. Eyesight blurring. Sometimes find ants in her urine. Numbness in her jaw.

#

Hi Good day Thanks for your query What’s the HBA1c which will show ur average sugar over 2-3 months previously Her sugar over 400 is very high How much she’s using metformin. U didn’t mention. She can increase it 2 gm in 24 hours if she’s taking less than that and if she’s already on maximum dose she needs to add another medication like sitagliptin 50 mg once daily to start with and may increase it to 100 mg if still sugars are high. Diabetes has many complications so it’s not just to bring down the numbers but to monitor and treat complications associated with diabetes Check ur eyes for retinopathy Kidneys with urine albumin creatinine ratio Check ur feet Lifestyle modifications are the best as treatment of diabetes Low carbohydrates diet and no added sugar. No sugary juices. No bread rice pasta and potatoes if u can’t stop at least take as less as possible More vegetables salads and fibers. Fruits only as a sweet dish. Don’t take mango grapes and banana. Apple not more than one piece. Strawberries and other berries are ok along with peach apricot and small amounts of plums. Intermittent Fasting will also help u to control ur diabetes u can fast for 16 hours like taking ur dinner at 7 pm and don’t eat anything after that then next next u can take breakfast at 11 am. During fasting just drink water and green tea without sugar. U can extend fasting to 24 hours then 36 hours as ur body adopts. U can do fasting two times a week or as u feel comfortable it will control ur sugar. Drink more water Sleep well Exercise at least walk 30-40 minutes daily The more u will practice these things the better will be ur control. Check ur sugar frequently Ur fasting target should be 90-130 2 hours after eating 150-160 HBA1c should be less than 7 These targets can vary in individual patient depending upon his diabetes duration and other relevant issues. Thanks

|