Q. Is it safe to take tablet Januvia to control blood sugar levels?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2020

Have hypothyroidism last 2 years down to 75mg levothyroxine. The issue now is blood sugar levels. Over last one yr dr has put me on several meds which I reacted to. At that time level under 200. This yr changed dr. He said no medication. Lifestyle change . Has been difficult. Weight up sugar levels 299. Dr put me on januvia last week. Scared cuz of reviews n side effects of the medication I read online. Already feeling like neck swollen n pain in chest sometimes. Cant go to hospital now because of covid. Dont want to get infected. Is Januvia ok. What do you suggest

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Hi. Good day. Thanks for your query Ur weight is quite high with uncontrolled diabetes. Definitely u need to change lifestyle and thinking pattern as well. U need to trust a doctor and follow his advice. Every medication has effects otherwise it will not be effective but we always weigh risk and benefits. If ur sugar will not be controlled it can lead to badly effect all ur body especially it can lead to kidney failure stroke heart attack nerve problem and many more. Modification of lifestyle is the main stay of diabetes treatment. U need to reduce carbohydrates especially simple carbohydrates like sugar ice cream sugary juices. If can’t stop u have to 70% reduce bread rice pasta and potatoes. Eat fruits only as a sweet dish. Mango grapes and banana especially can increase sugar quickly. U have tried many medications and I’m not sure which are those medications. I will advise u to take Glyxambi 25/5 one tablet daily Check ur fasting sugars for few days and let me know to modify dose accordingly Ur fasting should be 100-130 Thanks

| 

Related Video

My mom's diabetes medicines are making her feel dizzy and weak. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 53 years old. She is a diabetic and under medication. Her list of medications is as follows: For diabetes, Glyciphage SR 1 gm (1-0-1) and Volibo 0.2 (0-1-0). For cholesterol, Stator 10 (0-0-1) and for stamina, Stamina-OD (1-0-0). Under medication, her sugar levels before ...  Read Full »

Why are my blood sugar levels fluctuating so much?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old working woman, and my weight is 80 kg. I am not diabetic, but my recent reports showed my fasting blood sugar level to be 105 and HbA1C was 6.2. After seeing the report, I got scared, so I redid the test after a week. This time, my fasting blood sugar was 143 and pos...  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now