Q. Is it safe to take tablet Januvia to control blood sugar levels?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I have hypothyroidism for the last two years, down to 75 mg Levothyroxine. The issue now is blood sugar levels. Over the last year, the doctor has put me on several medicines, which I reacted to at that time level under 200. This year the doctor has changed. He said no medication and asked me to change the lifestyle. It has been difficult. The sugar levels are 299. And the doctor put me on Januvia last week. I am scared because of the reviews and side effects of the medication I read online. Already I feel like the neck is swollen, and I have pain in the chest sometimes. I cannot go to the hospital now because of COVID. I do not want to get infected. Is Januvia fine? What do you suggest?

#

Thanks for your query.

Your weight is quite high with uncontrolled diabetes. Definitely, you need to change the lifestyle and thinking pattern as well. You need to trust a doctor and follow his advice. Every medication has effects. Otherwise, it will not be effective, but we always weigh risks and benefits. If your sugar is not controlled, it can badly affect all your body. Especially it can lead to kidney failure, stroke, heart attack, nerve problem, and many more. Modification of lifestyle is the mainstay of diabetes treatment. You need to reduce carbohydrates especially simple carbohydrates like sugar, ice cream, sugary juices. If you cannot stop, you have to 70% reduce bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. Eat fruits only as a sweet dish. Mango, grapes, and banana can especially increase sugar quickly. You have tried many medications, and I am not sure which are those medications. I will advise you to take Glyxambi 25/5 (Empagliflozin and Linagliptin) one tablet daily. Check your fasting sugar for few days and let me know so that I can modify the dose accordingly. Your fasting should be 100 to 130.

Thanks.

|