Q. Why is Naproxen not working for my headache?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I am suffering from unilateral headache for the last two months. I had an eye examination and that was fine. My blood tests were all normal. I have seen three doctors, my GP and two hospital doctors, who all say it is likely a benign headache or tension-type headache of some description. I have no other symptoms other than the pain. I was prescribed Naproxen 500 mg twice daily which helped for two weeks. Pain came back a week after stopping Naproxen, but more mild than before. Then went away for five days and returned. Now, Naproxen does not seem to help at all. Doctors have not been concerned enough to give me a scan, because I have no other symptoms and just the pain. Again, this has been going on for two months now and even on pain-free days while on naproxen I have still had brief one second flashes of pain at least a couple of times a day. I have no sickness or nausea or dizziness. I do not have a history of migraine.There is no pain behind my eye or tearing. I also have no anxiety or tension issues in my personal life to attribute to a headache. The pain is in my left temporal area. I feel some pressure, pinching pain and tightness. Sometimes, it is in the inner ear and sometimes I have pain on the top left of my head. Before I started the Naproxen, it was at its worst at bedtime when I laid down, but I slept pain free for a month while on the Naproxen. The pain is quite mild, but persistent. So, it is very annoying and always on my mind now that the Naproxen does not seem to work at all and I cannot rely on it for relief. Why would naproxen suddenly stop working? Should I be concerned that I have a sinister condition?

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Naproxen is no longer helping because the enzymes in your liver has learnt to degrade the drug quickly. It usually happens when you take such drugs for a longer time.
  • Since there is no vomiting, you can wait till your next scheduled visit. If there is vomiting, then you have to go emergency room immediately and do the following on emergency basis.
  1. Fundus examination.
  2. MRI brain.
  3. EEG (electroencephalography).

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

From my history, please explain the problem I have.

Query: Hi doctor,I have had migraines all of my life as long as I can remember. A year ago, I suddenly fainted, hit my head on the wall and received a concussion. Right before I fainted, I was feeling like I had to burp and I had lots of saliva in my mouth. My head was hurting and I felt dizzy. Then, I fel...  Read Full »

Is there any epilepsy that does not cause physical seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a wide array of mental symptoms for around nine years. Some years ago, I went to see a neurologist. He took an EEG, and found "epileptiform activity", I think in temporal lobes. So he said I have epilepsy and prescribed Valproate. He said my depersonalisation...  Read Full »

There is a white mass above my teeth in MRI. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a brain MRI nine months ago. The report came back completely normal. I decided to look at the images last night and I noticed this bright white mass above my teeth. Either the mass is near my teeth or in my sinuses. I am worried that I have a tumor growing and it was looked over...  Read Full »