Q. Had sex after 11 days of abortion and had plan B pill. How likely is it that I am covered?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I am a 31-year-old female who just had a surgical abortion. It was my first and only pregnancy. I started taking the pill immediately (the same day as the procedure) and have taken it religiously at the same time daily ever since. I was put on Doxy as an antibiotic to make sure I did not get an infection after the procedure. I finished the full course of antibiotics. I had sex with my boyfriend 11 days after abortion and took the Plan B pill the next morning within 15 hours. Between my regular pill and the emergency contraceptive is taken so soon, how likely is it that I am covered?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Thanks for the query.

Firstly as you had a surgical abortion, it was any way sure that you would not ovulate soon in this cycle and your menses would be delayed. But, you chose to be on the oral contraceptive, which was correct, but at the same time, Doxycycline as an antibiotic would have reduced the efficacy per se.

So after 11 days of abortion when you had sex, it is unlikely that you would have ovulated for another four to five days. But, to cover up, you took a Plan B pill (emergency contraceptive pill) which is again protective towards pregnancy in your case.

So, overall you are protected, and I suggest you should stop your daily contraceptive pill as of now and wait for a early withdrawal bleed and then can restart the pills from day 2 of bleeding. You are pregnancy safe. Relax.

| 

While using contraceptive pill, will I remain protected during pill free days?

Query: Hi doctor, I am starting a pack of pill two weeks after my periods. After completing the pack will contraception start? Do I need to take the 7 pill free days after the first pack? Will remain protected during those seven days?  Read Full »

Though my husband pulled out of me in time are there chances of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had sex on the 1st and my period due date is 5th. Though my husband did not cum in me and he pulled out in time still are there chances of pregnancy? My cycle is a regular one otherwise. I am just getting tensed. Please advice.  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »