Q. Why am I bleeding after taking contraceptive pill?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

I had unprotected sex on the fourth day of my periods and I took a contraceptive pill within half an hour. Now, I am bleeding after seven days from the day I had taken the pill. Are there any chances of pregnancy? Please explain me.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The extra bleeding could be due to the pill. However, it would depend on the pill you took.
  • If you have taken an emergency contraceptive pill, then yes, that would be the reason of excessive bleeding.
  • However, if you have taken a normal contraceptive pill, then it will not protect you against pregnancy.
  • Though your details are not complete, I need further details to guide you better. So, please give further details.

Revert back with further details to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I took Unwanted 72 after having unprotected sex. Will I be pregnant? Please explain me.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• In that case there is no chance of pregnancyUnwanted 72 is an emergency contraceptive pill and would protect from any pregnancy.
  • Since you took the pill while you were on your period, it resulted in the heavy bleeding.
  • Do not worry; it will stop in another two to three days. However, if it does not stop, then let me know.
  • Any continuous bleeding of so many days might need medicines to stop the bleeding.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »

Is unprotected sex on the fifth day of period safe?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the fifth day of my last periods and he pulled out on time. It has been 35 days and I have not got my periods. Is there any chance of getting pregnant?  Read Full »

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »