Q. Will I get an ectopic pregnancy if I had sex on the date of period?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

I have a query about my period. My actual due date for my period was 28th of last month. I had unprotected sex on the 27th. I waited two days for my period and I took emergency contraceptive on the last minute to 72 hour. My period got delayed for eight days and got it on the 5th of this month. It was only scanty bleeding. Is my period true or imitating the sequence? I heard about ectopic pregnancy. Is there any chance of getting ectopic pregnancy as I had sex on the due date of period? I took the velocity test and it was negative. What do you want me to do now. I am a little worried.

#

• Firstly, as you had bleeding after eight days post Unwanted 72 intake, it ensures that you are not pregnant.
  • Your fresh menstrual date would now be the date of the bleeding started after the ECP (emergency contraceptive pill). There is a likelihood that next menses may be delayed by a week to 10 days, which is a known side effect of Unwanted 72.
  • Neatly, it is not an ectopic pregnancy. But, the chance of endometriosis rises if intercourse is undertaken during menstrual bleed, which can later lead to ectopic if endometriosis gets severe.
  • If still you wish to conclusively rule out pregnancy, then you may get a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test done. If the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU/mL, then you are surely not pregnant.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Does beta hCG of 2 indicate pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had my beta hCG done yesterday. It came as 2.00. I had sex recently. Eight months ago, when I had done the same test, my beta hCG was less than 0.1. Why this increase from 0.1 to 2? Is it because I can be pregnant and the hCG is increasing gradually? Or there are other reasons as well...  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»