Q. How much time will it take for urine incontinence to be cured after vasectomy?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

I have been experiencing urine incontinence following a vasectomy. While my urine tests came back negative, a semen sample came back positive for a staphylococcal infection. I have been taking Bactrim for about five days. My question is this. How long should I expect it to be before my symptoms are gone? If the infection is in the prostate, will it take longer to go away?

Do you have a question on Urinary Incontinence or Vasectomy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

MS GENERAL SURGERY ., MS UROLOGY
General Surgery Urology

Urine incontinence occurs due to uninhibited contractions of urinary bladder and has nothing to do with vasectomy. These uninhibited contractions can occur due to urinary tract infections or neurological causes. In your case, no obvious infection is detected in urine. Staphylococcus aureus is a bacteria seen in skin and presence of this in urine or semen means contamination of sample with skin while giving sample for culture.

Usually E-coli is the bacteria in urune or semen and shall take at least 14 days to clear. If the same is in the prostate, it takes 4 to 6 weeks. If your symptoms do not subside, you may need anticholinergics to inhibit uninhibited contractions of bladder. Please get back to me if you are relieved of symptoms in two weeks

Also Read Answers From: Urinary Incontinence Vasectomy

Is adenomyosis a cancerous tumor?
Query: Hi doctor, I have irregular periods with very heavy bleeding, clots, cramps, stabbing pains in my pelvic area with no pattern connecting to bleeding. Some days, I am so fatigue and cannot function. This started five years ago. I had constant bleeding following coil insertion. Then it was removed and...  Read Full »
Dr. Garima Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem which you are facing is most likely due to the adenomyosis and polycystic ovaries. As you have not mentioned your age and the number of kids, it is really difficult to tell you the exact management. Because, management is totally age related and number of k...  Read Full »

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?
Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »
Dr. Raja Ramesh
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease. So with time, incontinence may change in either direction, positively or negatively. The best option is what you have been doing. It is called CIC (clean intermittent catheterization). It is adaptable to all stages of disease ...  Read Full »

What are the possible causes for urinary incontinence?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 76 years old. I had an open radical prostatectomy about four months back. Today, I am completely incontinent. I do not smoke or drink. I do hiking and exercise daily. I also do the Kegel exercises faithfully. I have read several ways to do them and I can locate the sphincter mus...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax and do not worry. Urinary incontinence is a major complication of radical prostatectomy. It happens in 90 percent of the patients. Your urinary incontinence is not related to the lake in the abdomen. Usually, urinary incontinence will be present till one y...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now