Q. How much time will it take for urine incontinence to be cured after vasectomy?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I have been experiencing urine incontinence following a vasectomy. While my urine tests came back negative, a semen sample came back positive for a staphylococcal infection. I have been taking Bactrim for about five days. My question is this. How long should I expect it to be before my symptoms are gone? If the infection is in the prostate, will it take longer to go away?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgery Urology
#

Urine incontinence occurs due to uninhibited contractions of urinary bladder and has nothing to do with vasectomy. These uninhibited contractions can occur due to urinary tract infections or neurological causes. In your case, no obvious infection is detected in urine. Staphylococcus aureus is a bacteria seen in skin and presence of this in urine or semen means contamination of sample with skin while giving sample for culture.

Usually E-coli is the bacteria in urune or semen and shall take at least 14 days to clear. If the same is in the prostate, it takes 4 to 6 weeks. If your symptoms do not subside, you may need anticholinergics to inhibit uninhibited contractions of bladder. Please get back to me if you are relieved of symptoms in two weeks

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Is adenomyosis a cancerous tumor?

Query: Hi doctor, I have irregular periods with very heavy bleeding, clots, cramps, stabbing pains in my pelvic area with no pattern connecting to bleeding. Some days, I am so fatigue and cannot function. This started five years ago. I had constant bleeding following coil insertion. Then it was removed and...  Read Full »

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »

What are the possible causes for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 76 years old. I had an open radical prostatectomy about four months back. Today, I am completely incontinent. I do not smoke or drink. I do hiking and exercise daily. I also do the Kegel exercises faithfully. I have read several ways to do them and I can locate the sphincter mus...  Read Full »