Q. I have urinary urgency and burning sensation while urinating. Will a urine culture help in diagnosis?

Dr. Shahil Khant

I am a 33-year-old female. Five days back, I suddenly started having pain while urinating at the end of the stream and too much pressure in the bladder with urgency. And then I had blood in the urine. I was started on Zifi O, Urispas, and Citralka twice a day. After one dose, my blood in urine stopped, and felt better. I could do routine urine the next day only due to the pandemic. Urine routine is normal with pus cells 1-2, occasional epithelial, and RBC.

I felt better for a day. Then frequent urination started again with a feeling of urgency in spite of Urispas. I was prescribed Soliten 5, but I got burning after urinating, so I stopped it within a day. Now, I have the urgency to go, which is not going away, and burning after urination is better than yesterday. What do I do? It is causing mental stress. Will a urine culture help, or should I take a break from antibiotics? It is a 5-day course. I feel a little numbness on the left side of the back today.

#

You have UTI (urinary tract infection), which is very common. I have read your symptoms and seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As you have already started on antibiotics, I do not want to change. I want you to have the following reports.

1. Urine culture.

2. Sonography of abdomen.

I want you to give culture-guided antibiotics and ultrasound abdomen to see for any other problem. Do not wait for treatment to be over. You can get the above reports done tomorrow. Meanwhile, continue with Zifi O (Cefixime and Ofloxacin) and Urispas (Flavoxate).

Stop Soliten and start on tablet Mirbeg (Mirabegron) 25 mg twice daily in the morning and evening.

Follow up with reports.

| 

Is it safe to use Oflox OZ in an infant for severe loose stools?

Query: Hello doctor, My kid is 11 months old and he had more than 20 loose motions in one day today. He has never had this kind of a severe problem. In his bad days, he might have had 10 motions but they were not as loose and watery as today. He is currently on Taxim O, Sporlac, and En...  Read Full »

There is no reduction in the frequency of motion in a child after giving pre and probiotics. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 2 months old and he is suffering from motions 9 to 10 times a day. I gave him Cefixime six drops and prebiotic and probiotic 1 ml two times a day but there is no improvement. Please give me advice.  Read Full »

I have fever inspite of having Paracetamol. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a fever for the past five days 101 to 102. I am taking Paracetamol, but still, fever is there. Yesterday platelet was 119000, and today it is 106000.Eosinophils is 0.6.Absolute neutrophils are 930.Absolute Lymphocyte count is 580.Absolute monocyte count is 50. What should I do?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Andrologist Now