Q. My partner gets recurrent UTIs. Will it affect our sex life?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 24, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2021

My partner repeatedly got UTIs over the past two years, and it appears to be unique to our relationship. She is largely immune to the antibiotics prescribed, and on a couple of occasions, has progressed to severe kidney infections. I wonder if it could be something with my body and if there is a way to test for it and possibly treat or prevent it on my side?

#

UTI (urinary tract infection) is very common in females, especially in an active sexual relationship. If she had any blood or urine tests and ultrasound abdomen reports, please send me.

If it is not done, kindly get an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis to rule out any pathology which may cause UTI.

Regarding your tests, I feel you only require a basic urine report to see if any pus cells in your urine track, which may rarely give the infection to your partner. Generally, there is no problem in males. This happens because some females are genetically more susceptible the urine infections.

I want to suggest some preventive steps to follow.

1) Always ask your partner to empty your bladder before and after sexual intercourse.

2) Wash the area properly after sexual intercourse.

3) Intake of cranberry or cranberry juice reduces the incidence of urine infections.

I will ask her if she has any of those tests available.

#

Keep in touch for further doubts.

|