Q. What is the cause for itching of face and chest after sex?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
Published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

After sex, my girlfriend's face, chest and legs burn and itch. What is the cause? And what can we do for it?

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Is this the first time this has happened or every time?
  • Are there any rashes or just itching?

Kindly revert back with the details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

No, it happens just about every time and there is redness present. Please help.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

#

There can be multiple causes to this problem. A detailed history will rule out the cause.

1. Vibratory urticaria: Due to the movements during sex. 
  2. Cholinergic urticaria : Due to heat generated during sexual activity. Such people also have hives after heavy exercise.
  3. Allergy to semen or latex in the condom: Again this is something you can rule out with history.
  • You can get her tested for any allergy and get tests done accordingly to confirm the diagnosis.
  • For now, you can get her started on a combination of tablet Ranitidine and Loratadine daily to avoid another episode of the same.

Revert back with a detailed history to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How to prevent pregnancy other than using condoms and pills?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to get married in four months. We want to know whether there is any other way to avoid pregnancy other than using condoms or taking pills. I have seen somewhere on the internet that if we do intercourse for some particular period, then pregnancy can be avoided. Is it true? If ...  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

My wife has urticaria. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been getting a rash which the doctor has termed as urticaria. What could have caused this? I feel she could be having a yeast intolerance. Please help.  Read Full »