Q. Why am I having recurrent generalized itching that relieves on taking Cetirizine?

Dr. Shalini Patodiya
Published on Dec 25, 2018

I have itching problem in the whole body since last six months. When I take the Cetirizine tablet for this then it is fine for 4 to 5 days after that it again occurs.

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

It seems you have chronic urticaria. In more than 50 % of cases, the cause is unknown. The rest of the patients it can be due to any infection anywhere in body or thyroid problems or diabetes, etc. I suggest you get the following tests done. CBC with ESR, S.TSH, S.T3, S.T4. Also, please note if it gets precipitated due to some stimuli such as sweat, exercise, cold, etc. Follow up with the above reports.

Thank you so much.

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

#

You are welcome.

I have done all the test complete health package two months back. More details about the presenting complaint include itching problem in the whole body on a regular basis when I take Cetirizine. It will be fine for 3 to 4 days and after that itching problem is the same. Itching is there in legs, arms, neck, shoulder, and hands. Previous history of the same issue. And I am also tired, have dry mouth, sore throat and cough are coming on a regular basis. Current medications include only Cetirizine tablet two times in the week. Past medications of the same issue: Nothing.

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

#

Your lipid profile is deranged. you should see an MD medicine for the same (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your vitamin D levels are low. For this, you can start the following treatment, capsule Dvion 60,000 units, one capsule every week for four weeks. This will take care of your Vitamin D levels. This should improve your weakness. As far as your urticaria is concerned, I cannot find any reason in the reports. As I said earlier 50 % of the chronic urticaria cases are idiopathic. That is, no cause can be found. In such cases, regular medication is advised for a long period of time. I suggest you take tablet Dazit once daily for six weeks. After six weeks, you can try to stop it and see if the problem has resolved.

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full »

Please suggest homeopathy medicine for urticaria.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. Recently, I have been diagnosed with having urticaria (burning, itching sensations throughout the body from head to toe). It started out in an acute way but is turning out to be chronic. It has been more than two and a half months and I am still suffering from it...  Read Full »

Paracetamol in Pregnancies

Query: Hi doctor,My wife is suffering from severe cold, headache and throat pain. Can she take Paracetamol, antibiotics, and Cetirizine? We are planning for pregnancy, using medicine for it. This is her 12th day after the period.  Read Full »