Q. How to get cured from chronic urticaria?

Dr. Mahendra Thakre
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

I have chronic urticaria. I have done some allergy tests. I am allergic to dust mites, mussels, and tuna. I followed different diets to have some relief. But still, I feel itchy in certain parts of my body. When I start scratching, it seems to spread all over my body. Currently, I take Alnix tablets whenever required. Is it safe? What can I do to improve my condition? I was diagnosed with urticaria five years back. I took Co-aleva several times while having an upper respiratory infection. I self-medicated myself and became dependent on Co-aleva for a year. But I stopped taking it after consulting my dermatologist.

# Hi,

I understand your concern. You are suffering from chronic urticaria. It is defined by episodic urticaria (hives) occurring with a duration of more than six weeks. It causes marked distress to patients as it creates uncomfortable situations by interfering with works and sleep. Though it is difficult to treat, it is relatively a benign condition. Rarely, it occurs permanently. It remains limited to skin and mucosal tissues. It does not involve any other organ or system. In all cases, management begins with detecting and minimizing aggravating factors followed by taking initial treatment with H1 antihistamines. Currently, you are taking Cetirizine. Alternatively, you can also take Levocetirizine 5 mg or Fexofenadine 180 mg or Loratadine 10 mg, or Desloratadine 5 mg once daily. If your symptoms persist, I suggest you increase the dose of H1 antihistamines. You can add Ranitidine 150 mg twice daily or Famotidine 20 mg twice daily or Montelukast 10 mg once daily. When your symptoms remain refractory to these measures, then I suggest you take Glucocorticoids with a dose of 40 mg daily in the morning with food for two to three days. Once your symptoms get controlled, then taper down your dose to 10 mg daily. Kindly consult your dermatologist before doing necessary changes.

|