Q. How to get cured from chronic urticaria?

Answered by
Dr. Thakre Mahendra Shivram
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021
Hi doctor,

I have chronic urticaria. I have done some allergy tests. I am allergic to dust mites, mussels, and tuna. I followed different diets to have some relief. But still, I feel itchy in certain parts of my body. When I start scratching, it seems to spread all over my body. Currently, I take Alnix tablets whenever required. Is it safe? What can I do to improve my condition? I was diagnosed with urticaria five years back. I took Co-aleva several times while having an upper respiratory infection. I self-medicated myself and became dependent on Co-aleva for a year. But I stopped taking it after consulting my dermatologist.

# Hi,

Welcome to

I understand your concern. You are suffering from chronic urticaria. It is defined by episodic urticaria (hives) occurring with a duration of more than six weeks. It causes marked distress to patients as it creates uncomfortable situations by interfering with works and sleep. Though it is difficult to treat, it is relatively a benign condition. Rarely, it occurs permanently. It remains limited to skin and mucosal tissues. It does not involve any other organ or system. In all cases, management begins with detecting and minimizing aggravating factors followed by taking initial treatment with H1 antihistamines. Currently, you are taking Cetirizine. Alternatively, you can also take Levocetirizine 5 mg or Fexofenadine 180 mg or Loratadine 10 mg, or Desloratadine 5 mg once daily. If your symptoms persist, I suggest you increase the dose of H1 antihistamines. You can add Ranitidine 150 mg twice daily or Famotidine 20 mg twice daily or Montelukast 10 mg once daily. When your symptoms remain refractory to these measures, then I suggest you take Glucocorticoids with a dose of 40 mg daily in the morning with food for two to three days. Once your symptoms get controlled, then taper down your dose to 10 mg daily. Kindly consult your dermatologist before doing necessary changes.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.

.. have rhinitis as per history. I suggest you taking Levocetirizine 5 mg OD for five days which is decongestant. You can also take Vitamin C 500 mg BD for five days. If fever is also there, then take Paracetamol 500 mg SOS. You can take steam inhala...   Read full

My wife has urticaria. Please help.

Hi doctor, My son is 3 years old. His weight is 15 kg. He frequently throws up like once in two days or more. He often complains of a tummy ache and asks for water. Sometimes, water helps but at times it does not and he vomits after that. He is acti...   Read full

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases ... Associated factors - lymph node enlargement, tumour, chronic skin diseases, fungal ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.