Q. Why do I get frequent itchy rashes and bumps on my skin during my periods?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I am a 31 year old female. I have rashes and bumps, that itch and look like they are big bites, but they are not. They come and go in different places and are more frequent around the time of my periods. I have had these bumps for seven months now. I am attaching a picture, what are these?

#

I just read your query and saw the attachment provided by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it appears that you have urticaria or hives in simpler terms.

These usually occur when your immune system is a bit low such as during your periods, after a recent illness, due to some medication, recent travel, foods, perfumes, hair dyes, detergents, lotions, creams, clothes, exposure to new pets, dust, mold, chemicals, plants, etc. It can also occur after contact with nickel, rubber, latex, industrial chemicals, nail polish, hot or cold exposure, exercise, and alcohol ingestion.

I would suggest that you do some blood tests to know what is going on.

1. Complete blood count (CBC).
  2. Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).
  3. Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).
  4. Antinuclear antibody (ANA).

In the meantime, the best treatment is to avoid exposure to any of the causative agents. I suggest the use of some antihistamines such as tablet Loratadine 10 mg and topical Hydrocortisone 1 % cream, once daily for 3 to 5 days, whenever you get these rashes.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Do go to the nearest ER, if your rashes worsen and you have breathing difficulty. If you are pregnant, then the treatment mentioned above is not recommended.

Hope my advice is of some help to you.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|