Q. My semen seems to be a clear liquid post urinary tract infection. Why?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I had a UTI with the usual fever, etc., before five months. Before the UTI episode, my ejaculate was the usual (white), but my ejaculate has been clear ever since. I do not have pain, no problem with erections, plenty of desire, etc. What is the cause?

#

Ejaculate color and consistency depends on the frequency of ejaculation. If it is more frequent, it is more clear, light, and more transparent, that is normal and requires no treatment. The only concern here will be if you are looking for fertility, then I will follow up with you with semen analysis, but if not no need for the test.

Reduction in the amount of ejaculate will be due to medication used to reduce enlarged prostate symptoms. So if you are on medications for prostate, you expect less ejaculate, and that is normal.

After 50 years, the prostate starts to grow up and can (not in all patients) cause blockage to urine. Prostate cancer screening test starts after 50 years; therefore, please follow up with serum PSA (prostate-specific antigen) as soon as possible. On follow up, please let me know if you have symptoms like a poor flow of urine, increased frequency, difficulty to start passing urine, incomplete emptying of the bladder, straining, or increased frequency of waking up at night to pass urine.

|