Q. I have an abrasion on my vagina, with severe itching. Please advice.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

There is a purplish red abrasion on my vagina, which is the size of a small coin and it is really swollen. It stings when I urinate and is generally uncomfortable. I have not been sexually active for over a month, but I have had an infection for the past few days. Is this serious?

#

Vaginal abrasions are quite common and can cause a lot of discomfort.

• It could be due to any one of the following reasons:
  1. Sexual intercourse without enough lubrication.
  2. The use of sanitary pads.
  3. Very tight inner wears and jeans which cause friction.
  4. Latex allergy due to the condoms.
  5. Intense scratching, causing a secondary infection.
  • As the underlying mucosa is exposed, it stings while urinating as urine is acidic. I am not sure whether the abrasion is superficial or deep and if it bleeds. If you have fever and pain consult a gynecologist for local examination and appropriate treatment, as it can easily lead to a urinary tract infection.
  • I suggest you try the following:
  1. Keep the area as dry as possible. You can use Neosporin powder locally.
  2. Use loose cotton inner wears till the wound heals.
  3. Abrasions over sensitive areas like vagina usually take a long time to recover. It is better to avoid sexual intercourse until the wound heals completely.
  • Also, try to identify the cause of abrasions from the potential causes briefed above and act accordingly. Yes, it is definitely a concern, as you mentioned there is a swelling and more so if there is fever as well. 

Hope this information helps. Take care.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|