Q. What could cause yellowish vaginal discharge?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I just noticed that I had some yellowish discharge from my vagina. I do not have any itching or burning while urinating and there is no odor from the discharge. I was checked for STDs about three or four weeks ago and everything came back negative. I had protected sex with a condom last week, but had unprotected oral sex. How likely is it that this is STD? I am also on Viorele, an oral contraceptive and I know sometimes that this can cause discharge. What could this be?

#

Yes, oral sex could transmit STD (sexually transmitted disease) and they are herpes simplex, gonorrhea or even syphilis. Infections less frequently passed on include chlamydia, HIV and hepatitis A.

But, I must tell you that the risks of getting an STD from unprotected oral sex are typically much lower than the risks posed by having unprotected vaginal or anal sex. This is because saliva often contains the antibacterial and antiviral agents.

• However, as you do not have any associated sore throat or blisters on the mouth or lip; the chance of contracting STD is a bit remote.
  • Just look for your discharge. As it is odorless as well as non-itchy, it could be due to the pills, as you are thinking.
  • Are you on Celexa (Citalopram) for less than eight weeks? Vaginal discharge is found also among people who take Celexa and it could be a cause.

I think of a rescreen if it persists for more than a week or changes its behavior as you never know how you could contract STD.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for the reply. I have been on 10 mg of Celexa for about eight years now for anxiety.

#

• It is unlikely that you will have sudden symptoms from a drug you were from the last eight years. So, I do not consider this could be a cause.
  • Just follow other tips as mentioned before. Have a close look about the quantity and quality of the discharge. It could be due to a temporary hormonal disturbance. If it is so, then it will pass away.
  • But, if you have any confusion, as mentioned before, then proceed for STD re-testing straight away.

|