iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersSexologyvaginal disordersWhy do I have vaginal itching, swelling, discharge, and a burning sensation?

Can fungal or bacterial infections cause vaginal itching?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 8, 2022
Reviewed AtJanuary 22, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have symptoms of vaginal itching, burning sensation, discharge, and swelling.

Kindly advise.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern and would be happy to help.

A vaginal itch can occur due to an infection caused by candida or a bacteria. If you have whitish discharge, then this could be due to candida. If there is a yellowish discharge, then it might be a bacterial infection. I suggest you get a culture sensitivity of the discharge done for diagnosis. If it is a candidal infection, tablet Fluconazole must be used, and antibiotics like the tablet Doxycycline must be started if it is a bacterial infection.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have a white discharge. Is it fine if I take tablet Doxycycline? And how should I take it?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, you can take it as per prescription if there is no history of allergy to that drug. Also, tablet Fluconazole should be taken for candida infection. I suggest you abstain from sex for a couple of weeks.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

candidiasisvaginal disorders

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy