Q. My skin on vagina is dry and there are small bumps. Should I be worried?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I have been suffering from itching that I thought would go away on its own, but it seems like it is just getting worse. I have no sexual contact or history, no unusual discharge or smell. But I have noticed these white spots over my vulva, inner lips, and anus. And then sometimes the skin outside would be so dry, flaky, and peel. I also saw these bumps in my inner labia. I do not even know if this is normal? What can I do?

So far, these are what I have tried:

1) Applied Clotrimazole cream for two weeks.

2) Used a Povidone-iodine feminine wash for two weeks.

3) Took Cetirizine every night.

4) Applied Vaseline petroleum jelly for dry skin.

I am very worried. Please help me.

#

I understand your concern.

1) The picture of multiple bumps (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) on your vaginal walls is called vestibular papillomatosis. This is a typical skin variation and needs no treatment. This will also not cause itching or other symptoms.

2) The white patches and wounds or ulcers are seen on the vulvar and anal skin - it can be due to bacterial or viral pathology.

Also, further itching in the same spot can cause multiple cuts and infections. Hence this fails to heal. A swab test must be taken from this lesion and examined under a microscope for an exact diagnosis. Treating without the proper diagnosis will worsen the condition. Hence it is better to visit the doctor in person for an examination.

I suggest a few home remedies that can help;

1) Do not use any vaginal or intimate washes, soaps, or shampoos to wash your intimate or perineal region.

2) Maintain good hygiene.

3) Use loose cotton underwear and avoid undergarments at night.

I hope this was useful.

Does Vestibular papillomatosis ever go away or will it be permanent? Please explain.

#

It is usually permanent, but it may increase or decrease with specific hormonal changes. Either way, it is a normal change with no effect on health.

|