Q. I was awakened this morning by a pain in my vagina. Any suggestions?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

I was awakened this morning by a pain in my vagina. I have the urge to urinate often and a constant uneasy feeling in my vagina. There is no pain in the kidney area. I am thinking vaginitis or urinary tract infection. Any suggestions? Because I cannot get to my gyno until next week. I have had vaginitis and UTI, but it has been years.

#

You have not mentioned your previous medical, obstetrics, gynecological, and drug history here.

As per your history, you have pain in the vagina and frequent urination since today morning. You have a history of vaginitis and urinary tract infection years back.

I really do not know if have u been treated for any disease like diabetes, hypertension or any other like thyroid. If yes, then try to have a full treatment.

For your present problem, try to have a urinalysis, urine culture and vaginal swab for ruling out urine infection and pelvic infection.

If you have not had your cervical smear within three years, then it is better to have that also as it is better to have this at least three yearly at this age if no cervical pathology previously.

• Follow up with reports.
  • Have water and cranberry juice. It will help relieve urine infection if any.
  • Sit in a tub of warm water. It will soothe your pelvic infection if any.
  • Check for high temperature (fever), vaginal discharge, vomitings, and any other symptom like blood in urine, etc.

If symptoms are unbearable, I suggest having Paracetamol 1 g eighth hourly, but if severe pain, can increase to sixth hourly. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

If no vaginal discharge, but an increase in the frequency of urine and urine infection, I suggest tablet Augmentin 625 mg eight hourly for five days.

Follow reports and discuss here or with your gynecologist.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|