Q. Some tissue is protruding from my vagina. Is it a sign of prolapsed bladder?

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2021

Hello doctor,

I have attached photographs. Please have a look at it and please do say if this is a normal looking vagina. Is that a prolapsed bladder sticking out or part of my vagina?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to the picture provided here (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you are suffering from the tissue protruding from the vagina due to many causes.

It may have resulted from the prolapsed bladder, and symptoms of the prolapsed bladder are protruded tissue that may be tender and bleed, feeling of not emptying bladder just after urinating, and urine may leak due to coughing, sneezing or exertion, painful sexual intercourse, difficulty in urinating, repeated urinary tract infections. Bladder prolapse has some stages like it may protrude a little way into the vagina in stage 1, it may close to vaginal opening in stage two, and in stage three, it may protrude out of the vagina.

Again, urethral prolapse occurs when the inner lining of the urethra sticks out. It may appear bigger than normal and will look like a small, pink donut.

For confirming the diagnosis and treatment, pelvic examination along with cystoscopy may be needed to perform. For less obvious cases, voiding cystourethrogram, even biopsy from the protruded tissue, may be required.

After diagnosing, in mild to moderate cases, only conservative treatments are needed, like avoiding constipation, reducing body weight in case of obesity, pelvic floor exercises, avoiding strenuous activities, etc.

Only in some severe cases, surgical intervention may be needed.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

Hello doctor,

So is it a prolapse bladder? Another doctor said it was normal.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Thanks for joining again.

I have already mentioned that it may be the tissue protruding from the vagina. In the case of prolapsed bladder, you might have some clinical features that have already been mentioned above. If you have no clinical features, then it is nothing to be worried about. Without pelvic examination physically, it is very difficult to predict anything. So it will be better and wise if your gynecologist will do a pelvic examination of yours for the final diagnosis. So please visit your gynecologist for the assessment of your pelvic organs. Do not be worried at all. I never told you that you are suffering from bladder prolapse. According to the picture, it seems to be a protruded tissue in the vaginal opening. For that reason, I have advised you to visit your gynecologist to examine you physically to detect any abnormality if there may be present.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why are my vaginal walls collapsed and cervix shifted to right side?

.. you doing? You seem to be suffering a lot at this young age of 25 years. From your history and examination findings, I feel there is deep infiltrating endometriosis. Usually, bowel symptoms, distended bowels into the vagina, nodules in ligament c...   Read full

Can positive factor V cause heavy bleeding and blood clots?

.. factor V Leiden showing a positive result. So you are at high risk for developing blood clots in various organs of the body especially in the lungs and leg as pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis. If you have major clots occurring in the fu...   Read full

Can bladder prolapse surgery be done under local anesthesia?

.. gone through your question and understand the concerns. Vaginal surgery for the bladder repair is safe and there are no major risks associated with it. Complications like bladder injury can occur, which is not at all life-threatening and can be su...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Having pain in left ovary, and it increases during exercise. Is it ovarian cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 years old female, and I have had three c-sections and normal regular periods. My menstrual cycle three months back was short and lighter, and I ovulated about a week early. I noticed some pain, which almost reminded me of implantation pain. This continued on and off with pain an...  Read Full »

I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 52 year old female, who weighs 75 kg and I am 152 cm tall. I want to know whether we should opt for hysterectomy or not. I do not want to do a hysterectomy, as it may interfere with hormonal balance later. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge, with a fair amount of red spots. W...  Read Full »

I am having pain and bleeding during sex after partial hysterectomy. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a partial hysterectomy six years back while in prison. I spent 7 and a half years in prison and I had sexual intercourse for the first time one week ago, I had pain and bleeding and it was very painful. So, after three days I attempted to have sex again, this time it was a lot o...  Read Full »

Also Read

Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»
I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I h...  Read more»
Birth Control Methods - Facts, and Types
Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods.In this article, I am going to...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.