Q. Some tissue is protruding from my vagina. Is it a sign of prolapsed bladder?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I have attached photographs. Please have a look at it and please do say if this is a normal looking vagina. Is that a prolapsed bladder sticking out or part of my vagina?

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to the picture provided here (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you are suffering from the tissue protruding from the vagina due to many causes.

It may have resulted from the prolapsed bladder, and symptoms of the prolapsed bladder are protruded tissue that may be tender and bleed, feeling of not emptying bladder just after urinating, and urine may leak due to coughing, sneezing or exertion, painful sexual intercourse, difficulty in urinating, repeated urinary tract infections. Bladder prolapse has some stages like it may protrude a little way into the vagina in stage 1, it may close to vaginal opening in stage two, and in stage three, it may protrude out of the vagina.

Again, urethral prolapse occurs when the inner lining of the urethra sticks out. It may appear bigger than normal and will look like a small, pink donut.

For confirming the diagnosis and treatment, pelvic examination along with cystoscopy may be needed to perform. For less obvious cases, voiding cystourethrogram, even biopsy from the protruded tissue, may be required.

After diagnosing, in mild to moderate cases, only conservative treatments are needed, like avoiding constipation, reducing body weight in case of obesity, pelvic floor exercises, avoiding strenuous activities, etc.

Only in some severe cases, surgical intervention may be needed.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

So is it a prolapse bladder? Another doctor said it was normal.

#

Thanks for joining again.

I have already mentioned that it may be the tissue protruding from the vagina. In the case of prolapsed bladder, you might have some clinical features that have already been mentioned above. If you have no clinical features, then it is nothing to be worried about. Without pelvic examination physically, it is very difficult to predict anything. So it will be better and wise if your gynecologist will do a pelvic examination of yours for the final diagnosis. So please visit your gynecologist for the assessment of your pelvic organs. Do not be worried at all. I never told you that you are suffering from bladder prolapse. According to the picture, it seems to be a protruded tissue in the vaginal opening. For that reason, I have advised you to visit your gynecologist to examine you physically to detect any abnormality if there may be present.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|