Q. What can be the reason behind recent episodes of vertigo and dizziness with tinnitus?

Dr. Pandian. P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2022

For the past month, I have often been experiencing vertigo sensations and dizziness with slight tinnitus. Sometimes I feel more tired than usual and feel slight palpitations. I have been to audiology, and all is fine with hearing and external and median ear. I have done multiple blood tests (B12, iron or anemia, thyroid, diabetes, electrolytes, liver), which are all perfect. I have been given Stemetil 5 mg (Prochlorperazine) to take when I feel dizzy, but I do not feel much improvement. What should I do? Do you recommend having an MRI scan for peace of mind? What kind of MRI should I do, brain or internal ear? Do I need to be referred for the MRI by a neurologist, or can I go on my own? Regarding the palpitations, I have done a 12 lead ECG at cardiology and was told I have a slight arrhythmia, nothing to worry and was given some Magnesium Orotate. I will attach to the message a home-taken ECG report if you need to take a look at it. Please let me know what I should do for vertigo and dizziness, as it stresses me consistently.

#

Your ECG (electrocardiogram) seems to be normal only. It is better you consult a neurologist first and then take MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) according to the advise. At a younger age, there would not be many problems. Evaluation by an expert (neurologist) seems worthy. If it is not possible now to visit a neurologist, kindly follow up with me. I am prescribing the following for five days. Consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take medicines with their consent:

1) Tablet Vertin (Betahistine) 16 mg twice daily after food.

2) Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) 40 mg twice daily before food.

3) Multivitamin or B-complex tablets or capsules once daily.

Try to reduce the height of your pillow, avoid spicy food, and take plenty of fluids.

Further review will be done after your reply.

Should I also continue taking the Prochlorperazine (Stemetil)? Regarding the MRI, what kind of MRI is indicated? Brain or inner ear, or do they include both?

Many thanks.

#

Stop Stemetil (Prochlorperazine), and please consult a neurologist.

You can take an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the brain and carotid Doppler.

|