Q. I took Viagra 50 mg, and it helped with erectile dysfunction. Will Viagra affect my fertility?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 30, 2021

I have some queries related to the use of Viagra. I have erectile dysfunction. Even though I get an erection, I am unable to sustain its hardness during intercourse. I took Viagra 50 mg once and it worked well. Is it safe to take Viagra to make my wife pregnant? Will Viagra cause any effect on fertility? Will it affect sperms?

#

I understand your concern about the effects of Viagra (Sildenafil) on sperms. Formation of sperms is an independent process from erection. Sperm formation takes around two to two and a half months. Viagra will not cause any effect on the erection or mechanism of erection. On the other hand, it acts on certain receptors on the blood vessels and it remains effective for a few hours up to 4 to 6 hours. As per literature, sperms are not harmed due to frequent use of Viagra. You can safely go ahead with Viagra to become a father.

I read some research studies that Viagra can affect the acroma of sperms and it can make it infertile while it reaching the eggs. My doctor also warned me regarding the effects of Viagra on the sperms. I am using it but I did not get any good results. I want to know whether Viagra will affect my fertility.

#

Yes, there is some research indicating decreased fertility due to loss of acrosomal activity. Still, these results are obtained in the test tube and such effects are not observed in standard studies like randomized controlled trials. But further studies did not substantiate the results. Concerns about increased fertility got increased around two decades back during the initial launching of the medicine. But no further studies proved these concerns to a significant level.

Practically, there is no difference seen in patients who received Viagra during IVF (in-vitro fertilization) when compared to non-recipients of such medications. In addition, this medication helps to improve fertility by maintaining erections and ejaculates semen appropriately. As you are just 34 years suffering from erection problems without any medical illness, then I think that performance anxiety is causing problems with erections in you. Psychological counseling is needed to control your thoughts, performance anxiety and thus problems with erection get minimized.

|