Q. I took Viagra 50 mg, and it helped with erectile dysfunction. Will Viagra affect my fertility?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have a query related to the use of viagra. I have the problem of erectile dysfunction. Sometimes, though I get an erection, I am unable to sustain the hardness, and do intercourse. I took Viagra 50 mg once and it worked well. Is it safe to use viagra to get my wife pregnant? Will viagra cause any effect on my fertility? Will it affect the sperms? Hope to listen from you soon.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns about the effect of Viagra (Sildenafil) on sperm or its quality.

I like to inform you that the formation of sperm is an independent process from erection. You will be surprised to know that the sperms that will be released in the next few sessions may have completed their manufacturing weeks back, if not the months. In other words, sperm formation takes around two and a half months and has no casual relationship with the erection or mechanism of erection, which is affected by Viagra.

On the other hand, Viagra acts on certain receptors on the blood vessels and remains effective for a few hours (4-6 hours).

I mean to say that as per the available literature, no harm is made to sperms or sperm quality by Viagra even on the frequent use. You can safely go ahead with Viagra to father a child.

| 

Thank you for your reply.

I read some research studies Viagra will affect the acroma of sperm, which makes it infertile as soon as it reaches the egg. Moreover, my GP also warned me about the effect of Viagra 50mg on sperm, which I took over the counter. I am using it but did not get the positive results as my wife is still not pregnant. I just want to make sure again that the Viagra will not destroy my fertility, and I will not be dependent on it for intercourse. Thank you.

#

Yes, there are indeed some research indicating decreased fertility due to loss of acrosomal activity much earlier (before it penetrates egg to fertilize). Still, those results were obtained in the test tube, and no such effects were observed in the standard studies (randomized controlled trials). Besides, further studies did not substantiate those results.

You will be glad to know that such concerns about increased infertility were raised around two decades back (immediately after the medication was launched in the market). Still, over the last two decades, no further studies replicated/approved those concerns to a significant level.

Practically speaking, I am closely associated with Fertility Clinics in my city and observed no difference in the IVF success of those who received Viagra in comparison to nonrecipients of such medications. In addition, the medication overall improves fertility by helping us to maintain erections and ejaculate semen when it is appropriate.

Regarding becoming dependent on medication, I like to inform you that Viagra is a medication that works on a need basis. It neither cures your problem, nor it increases the problem.

As I can see that you are just 34 years of age, and the problem with erection is only sometimes, and no mention is made of any concurrent illness, I feel performance anxiety is the thing which is probably causing a problem with the erections. This is likely to resolve when there is less performance anxiety or pressure to perform. In addition, psychological help can be of much use to control your thoughts, about performance anxiety and thus minimizing the problem with erection.

| 

Is it safe for a hypertensive patient to take Viagra?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 51 years being treated for coronary ectasia and hypertension. I am taking the following medicines now. Tablet Clopilet 75 mg, Warf 2.5 mg and Nebicard H. Can I take Viagra for erectile dysfunction?  Read Full »

Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Population

Article Overview: Erectile dysfunction is a condition when the person is not able to achieve or maintain an erection adequately to have intercourse. It is common in diabetes patients. Diabetics are at a higher risk (three times more likely) of developing erectile dysfunction compared to non-diabetic people. At least half the diabetics develop erectile dysfunction and the risk increases with age. So, why does erectile dysfunction happen? Why does diabetes lead to impotence? Here we discuss why. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Diabetologist

Erectile dysfunction is a condition when the person is not able to achieve or maintain an erection adequately to have intercourse. It is common in diabetics. People with diabetes are not only at a higher risk (three times more likely compared to nondiabetic people) of developing erectile dysfunction...  Read Article

Is it safe to take Viagra is you have an aneurysm?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54 year old male with complex medical histories, including a current splenic artery aneurysm, an occluded right vertebral artery, historical major spinal cord trauma from intradural schwannomas (removed twice) and multiple liver hemangiomas. I have had occasional erectile dysfunct...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now