Q. Are we on the right track in treating my girl?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

My daughter, who is 4 years old, has got cold, cough and viral fever 3 weeks before. After a week of suffering, she was prescribed with Mucolite and Azithral antibiotic five day course of 5 mL one daily. When she was recovering, she started complaining of painful urination and abdomen pain. After a few days, we did a urine test and the result suggested infection with pus cell (4-6/hpf) and epithelial cell (0-2/hpf). For the past one week, her body temperature is usually about 98.5 to 99.3 degrees Fahrenheit and sometime it might get rise to 99.6 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The urine culture is in progress and will get the report in three to four days. The doctor has prescribed Disodium hydrogen citrate liquid, Cefixime oral suspension and Rinifol-Z (Lactic acid bacillus with vitamin and zinc) for the time being. My daughter was diagnosed for epilepsy this year and she is on Keppra. Online review shows that Disodium hydrogen citrate may cause seizure and muscle twitching as the side effect. I am really worried either to avoid it or give her the medicine. Are we on the right track in treating my girl? Is there anything wrong? She seems to get the cold again. It is just being two weeks now and she got cold again. Does she suffer from any other condition we need to diagnose further? She is almost sick for the last three weeks and we as parents are concerned about her epilepsy. Please assist. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

I do not think you should be worried about anything.

According to the urine report, there is no infection. Pus cells above 6 is considered as infection and yours is just 4-6 which is quite normal.

Recurrent episodes of cold and fever in this season are common due to the seasonal effect.

Regarding epilepsy, continue the medication at least for six months and then consult a neurologist.

Since you have already started medication for UTI (urinary tract infection), continue it and complete the course.

Do not worry about the side effects of Cital (Disodium hydrogen citrate). As it gets diluted in water, it does not cause any harm. If there is no burning sensation while passing urine, then you can stop it as well.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Can we use Tramadol and Acetaminophen for viral fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother, who is 27 years old, is having viral fever and the temperature was 103 degrees Fahrenheit since yesterday night. He has been complaining of slight fever for the past five days. We had blood tests and the urine test done yesterday and both were normal. We are using the followi...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full »

How can I bring back RFT and LFT levels to normal after a viral fever?

Query: Hello doctor. I am 67 years old man. I had viral fever last week for which I took antibiotic (7-day course). I then had cramps in the abdomen and gastric problem. I also had disturbed sleep. On consulting my family doctor, he advised for complete body checkup and full abdomen ultrasound. All the re...  Read Full »