Q. My 3-year-old kid has a fever for almost a week. Please help.

Dr. Amit Modi

My daughter is 3 years old and weighs about 15 kg. She has a fever for almost a week. So today, we did a blood test for dengue, malaria, and platelet count. It is almost six days since she is suffering from a high fever. We went to a doctor, and he prescribed Ibugesic plus and antibiotics. But after nine hours or so, the fever again comes up. Her blood report shows she has anemia. I am very much tensed. Is it very serious?

#

I have gone through her CBC (complete blood count) report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be within the normal limits.

Mild anemia with Hb (hemoglobin) of 10.5 is noted, which does not require any treatment. It can be corrected with an iron-rich diet. Sometimes viral fever may last for a longer duration. You should continue to give syrup Ibugesic plus 7 ml for fever. Antibiotics have already been started. So no need to worry.

Please get the Widal test and urine routine microscopy done.

Continue the treatment as advised.

Follow up with Widal and urine test.

Today, I went to the child specialist and showed him the above report, and told him that fever peaks up to 101 F in 8-10 hours gap. He asked to do the Widal test and prescribed L-cin syrup 5 ml two times and Cefolac 100 7.5 ml two times for eight days. Both are antibiotics. So I am a bit concerned about the side effects. Can you suggest whether this prescribed medicine is fine to continue? He also asked to stop Zedocef antibiotics, which he prescribed earlier. I am attaching the prescription.

#

Yes, both are antibiotics. Generally, viral fever may also last for five to five days. But again, your treating doctor must have confirmed bacterial infection on clinical examination to start antibiotics. I would still recommend to get the tests done.

|