Q. Why do I have higher visual acuity in my right eye than the left?

Dr. Anand Yattinamani
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 05, 2020

I had LASIK at the age of 26 and had 20/15 vision after the procedure. I had -4.5 R and 5.25 L before the surgery. I am now 31 and have developed some slight myopia (R - 0.25 and L - 0.50) and astigmatism. One thing I have always noticed was that both before LASIK and now, my left eye always seems a bit blurry when looking out of them separately (at a distance). At times, I feel that up close with my corrective lens on it is the reverse and my left is slightly clearer. I mean could this just be due to them being two separate organs and maybe my right eye has a higher visual acuity than my left eye at a distance? In addition, even without my glasses I can read things that my wife cannot at a distance. We had her vision checked thinking it must be myopia and she tested 20/20 or better. Though I do not really suffer from dryness, I use Similasan drops frequently throughout the day as a protective measure. I work long hours in the computer, probably for 12 or more a day. I have anti-glare coatings on my glasses. I asked my optometrist if I should be worried about the excessive time on a computer and he said as long as I am using the drops and resting my eyes every 20-30 minutes it should have no effect on my vision, as my issues are related to the length of my eyeball. Even though my prescription is weak, I have always been extremely sensitive to the difference in both eyes. I know it sounds absurd. Some things I do are lubricate, rest muscles, where my glasses which are anti-glare, etc., and have recently changed to lights in my working areas that mimic daylight. Could you summarize and give me a detailed answer as I am actually OCD (diagnosed) and I obsess about this for some reason. I felt that coming here and getting a detailed answer from an ophthalmologist might be more enlightening. Thank you.

#

• It is common to have different power in both eyes. Also, different vision in both eyes. This is because of difference in optical properties of both eyes.
  • In your case, the power of both the eyes is different. Higher in the right eye and this itself may be led to the difference in vision.
  • Other possibilities can be, during LASIK, there might be some subtle changes in ablation leading to minor differences.
  • As you have good vision in both the eyes and change is not more than one line. Both eyes best corrected vision is 6/6 and you need not worry at all.
  • You may not have to wear glasses all the time. Just keep taking same the precautions as you do now while using computers.
  • Use artificial tear drops whenever you feel dryness. You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more details.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|