Q. My vitamin D is very low and I am feeling malaise. What to do?

Dr. Ambekar Sudheer
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 21 year old final year medical student. I started feeling malaise since four weeks associated with fatigue. I thought it was a subclinical viral infection and took bed rest. Slowly my limbs started to pain, only the thigh. It gradually progressed over two weeks and now I cannot walk for 50 feet or stand for more than three minutes without resting my thigh. The pain gets relieved on resting, but soon twitching starts all over the legs and face. This pain is aching in type and is severe. Investigations I had are complete hemogram, liver function test, thyroid profile, ECG, serum electrolytes, calcium, phosphorus, creatinine phosphokinase, B6, folic acid and nerve conduction study. All were normal except vitamin D, which is very low at 14 ng/dL. I have been diagnosed with OCD and I am taking Escitalopram for the past two years and Fluvoxamine and Clofranil for three years before that. Now, I am taking Felicita once in the afternoon and Clonazepam 0.25 mg (1-1-2) and Escitalopram (1-0-0). My thigh pain is too much. Please help me.

#

• Vitamin D deficiency can cause severe bony pain, malaise and fatigue. You should start treatment for vitamin D immediately.
  • With a level of 14, you should be fine taking oral supplementation. Since you are symptomatic, I suggest you take parenteral supplementation.
  • I suggest the following tests in addition; vitamin B12 and x-ray femur.

Revert back with the test reports to a general practitioner --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|