Q. A few things are highlighted in my CBC. What is the further course of action?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Aug 05, 2016

I am 50 years old. I am getting muscle pain in legs if I walk a long distance. Also, I am an asthma patient and currently on Theo Asthalin forte tablet and inhaler. Today, I had a complete blood checkup. In the report, the following are highlighted. Total bilirubin count 1.31, red cell distribution width 14.6, vitamin B12 178 and hydroxyvitamin D 13.07. Please advise the further course of action.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• Your vitamin B12 level is mildly low, which has resulted in early changes in RBC (red blood cell) size.
  • In vitamin B12 deficiency, macrocytes are seen or MCV - mean corpuscular volume will be mildly elevated. Early changes with only increased RDW (red cell distribution width) and others are normal.
  • Vitamin D deficiency is present and requires vitamin D supplements and sun exposure. Due to working in air conditioned or non-sun-exposed atmosphere, vitamin D deficiency is very common nowadays.
  • Serum bilirubin is mildly elevated. As liver function tests are normal, there is no need to worry at present.
  • Repeat your serum bilirubin levels after two months. In the meantime, you can start on vitamin B12, vitamin D supplements and nutrition-rich diet.
  • Values are mildly abnormal and nothing to be worried about. Improve your nutrition. Repeat the test after two months and it should have returned to normal.

Vitamin B12, vitamin D supplements and nutrition-rich diet.

Revert back after two months to a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Health Benefits from Eating Eggs

Article Overview: Egg protein has the highest nutritive quality as compared to any other dietary protein. An egg is said to be a complete food because of its nutritional benefits, such as vitamins, minerals, proteins, best quality of fat, etc. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

Who does not know the benefits of an egg? I think everyone is familiar with this nutritious white diamond of the food group. It is a rich source of all nutrients except vitamin C (ascorbic acid). An egg of 50 g weight contains the following: Calorie - 85. Protein - 6.5 g (13 % of RDA). Fat - 6....  Read Article

Why is bilirubin level 1.4 for three months?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full »

My baby's bilirubin levels are above 21. Is he at risk for cerebral palsy?

Query: Hello doctor,I was recently blessed with a baby boy. This week, I just took him to the hospital to check if he had jaundice, as he seemed too sleepy and the bilirubin levels came to 21.80 on the eighth day. I do not know at which rate the levels were being raised. The doctor immediately put him unde...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now