Q. There is a black mole-like growth on the sole of my foot. Is it a wart?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have one black mole on the sole of my feet, below the big toe since a few months. I pulled it out and it has now spread. There are similar black moles under my sole. The top layer of the skin is not broken, but there are a number of black moles or dots (few are raised). However, when I applied Salicylic acid, I saw that there are bigger black dots within one mole. Even after clearing, the black dot grows on the same position. I have a history of psoriasis and plantar warts. What is it? A melanoma, wart or something else?

#

• I read your problem in detail. But, it is not possible to say anything about it without a picture of your problem.
  • Yes, it could be a wart which is a common issue, but a melanoma and few other possibilities should be ruled out. So, please send me the pictures for further review.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please find the picture attached.

#

I have seen your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is clearly warts. There is no evidence of melanoma. These warts are on the pressure points. As your whole body's weight is on the soles, they take a little time to heal. But you need not worry.
  • You can buy some wart preparation as over the counter drug. The preparation comes with various names and they contain salicylic acid or lactic acid and sometimes a combination of both. Keep applying these for at least 10 days. With the help of these agents, the skin will peel off by itself.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am relieved to hear that. Are you sure that these are warts and there is no sign of melanoma? When I first cleared it with salicylic acid, the skin below one of these black moles was normal. But, it then started turning black.

#

• Yes, I am quite sure about my diagnosis. Because you mention that when these lesions were removed by salicylic acid, the underlying skin was normal. Firstly, melanoma is not something to be removed by salicylic acid and then the underlying skin being normal is not usual of melanoma.
  • The problem with a wart is that it can get reinfected because very small viral particles hide in our shoes. We need to change them often and also try to disinfect them with proper sun exposure.
  • If you feel a pain while walking, then do let me know.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|