Q. There is a painless black growth on my knee. What could this be?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I am a 56 year old male. On the left knee, there is a painless black growth and that has been there for around 2 years now. In a recent visit, my doctor advised to use Lactic acid plus Salicylic acid based topical lotion. This reduced the size of the growth a little bit. However, after stopping the lotion for 15 days, it grew back to its original size again. But, it did not become bigger than before. I have attached the pictures for your reference. Could you please advice as what this could be? Also, what treatment would one need for this?

#

• The growth is a viral wart. It is a form of superficial viral growth on the skin.
  • Yes, it usually increases in size if left untreated and can spread to other body parts by direct contact.
  • They are best dealt with radiocautery, which is a simple office based surgery done with a cautery machine. It is a five minute superficial procedure, which would be performed by your dermatologist. Only local anesthesia is required.
  • Do not touch the wart repeatedly as they may spread to other body parts.
  • The lotion mentioned by you may also be used for a long time, but it is not as efficacious as the surgical option.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I drank cold drinks before going to my dentist. Could it prevent my tooth from getting numb?

Query: Hi doctor, I broke a tooth, so I went to the dentist, and I was very upfront about not having a root canal treatment. I preferred to get it extracted rather. She numbed my tooth and said she was going to fix it. After she had finished, she said I was going to need a root canal treatment. Now my too...  Read Full »

How are venereal warts treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed venereal warts under my penis foreskin. They are not painful and are non-itchy as well. As it is a matter of concern that how I developed it, my doctor on seeing it directly asked to go for a laser surgery. Kindly look over the matter and seek necessary help.  Read Full »

Can I undergo surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma under local anesthesia?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 60 year old healthy female with medically controlled hypertension. I have Behcet’s disease, though mostly under control. I have had various tropical diseases. I also had hepatitis A at childhood, and TB meningitis. I also have scoliosis.  I have been diagnosed BCC (Basal...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»