Q. How to overcome my obsessive thoughts?

Dr. Shubham Mehta
Published on Nov 11, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering with some thought problem since many years and my life has been completely distracted due to that. It has completely ruined my life. My problem is that I am obsessed with a thought and I am not able to overcome it. I researched a lot about that on internet and it seems like I am suffering from white bear syndrome. The more I try to avoid it, the more it distracts me.

My problem is whenever I encounter a woman; the first thought that comes to my mind is to look beneath her neck. I am not able to make an eye contact with them. They feel like I am looking at their breast but it is not so. It makes me feel ashamed of that. As I am so conscious, I am not being able to think about other thought whenever I face a woman. Please help me out.

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

I have read your details and understand your concern.

• White bear syndrome is, 'whatever you tend to think about you will continue to think about it even if it is something you do not want to think about'. Nothing can be more frustrating than to have a thought in your head that you cannot get rid off.
  • In my opinion, this is technically a type of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). There are repetitive thoughts; you are not able to control them despite knowing that these are wrong.
  • For such a problem, I would suggest you to take anti-obsessional drugs like Fluoxetine after getting physical evaluation by your local psychiatrist.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thank you for your reply. But I have never been to any local doctor till now as I feel the problem is somewhat obsessive. Is there any other treatment option apart from drugs?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

#

• Another way of treatment is controlling the thought. Control your thought by imagining some aversive condition. For example, if you see a woman and her husband notices you staring, you will be beaten.
  • Without any hesitation please do consult a local psychiatrist for your health.

Can OCD be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from OCD. She always washes and cleans everything, even electronic things. She will not touch anyone who come from outside. If in case she touches, then she does take bath immediately. If there is any fly at home, she will watch and wash all those things.  Read Full »

Why do I think too hard to pronounce people's names in my mind?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffer from derealization and Asperger's syndrome, and I accidentally think too hard about how to pronounce people's names. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really want to fix whatever it is I just accidentally did. But there is nothing I can do. Every possible solution interferes w...  Read Full »

Since I was a child, I keep repeating some bad words and sentences inside my mind. I do not understand why.

Query: Dear Doctor, Since I was a child, I keep repeating some bad words and sentences inside my mind. I do not understand why. Eventhough such thoughts are prohibited by our religion, my mind keeps saying certain words each minute without my control, sometimes I feel that I just want to hit myself. And al...  Read Full »