Q. I have a white spot behind my upper back tooth. What is that?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2020

I have a white spot behind my last upper tooth. I have attached a photo and mentioned the spot by pointing it. What could it be?

#

• It does seem to be starting of a simple mouth ulcer (attachment removed to protect patient identity) or just some white normal epithelial changes.
  • Usually such changes come when our diet does not contain good leafy vegetables and grains causing lack of vitamin B complex or it can occur even during monthly hormonal changes.
  • It is nothing to be worried about. Such changes will go away in a period of 14 days as we improve our diet.
  • Does the white spot cause some irritation or pain while eating spicy foods or just by touching it with the tongue?

Revert back with the answer to the above question to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

There is no pain. I will improve my diet. I did have my wisdom teeth pulled, but several years ago. I have attached a better picture. It is more of a white patch. It is right behind my upper back tooth.

#

• It can be clearly seen (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and is not some ulcer. It seems to be just some epithelial changes.
  • It can be due to some previous injury like while pulling out of wisdom tooth or a previous ulcer which has healed.
  • It is not a cause for worry. It will either remain like this or will go away soon as new blood vessels forms in the area.
  • Hope you do not have much of a smoking problem. Do you think it has formed just now or just noticed it now?
  • You can just watch it for one or two months for any changes, which will not be there surely, just for your assurance and then just forget about it.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|