Q. Few months after open bite surgery, my gums shows white spot with discoloration. Why?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I have a question about my gums. I had a jaw surgery for an open bite a few years ago and the gums were all pink and normal looking a few months ago. Now they have a lot of white on the upper gums with the area slightly above the gum line being the non-whitened and discolored part. I have a picture. The discoloration showed up more recently and never in the past if I recall.

I am currently on Vistaril Prozac Zyprexa Junel (birth control).

#

The gums looked blanched or whitish due to lesser blood circulation and less inflammation than before. There is no need to worry as it occurs as the gums are completely healed and also could happen due to decreased blood pressure and complete healing of inflammation post-surgery. Even medications like anti-depressants can cause some drying or blanching of soft mucosa tissue of gums.

I am wondering about what is causing the reduction in blood circulation in the upper gums?

#

It might be due to decreased blood pressure, less oxygenation of blood due to changed dietary habits or medications, etc. It could get normalized in a few weeks usually. Anyway, there is nothing worrisome about it. It is a physiological response to your condition and you should change back to normal in the future.

|