Q. What is the powdery substance in my lower front teeth?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
Published on Jan 22, 2020

My front two teeth are not fixed and have broken edges because of a car accident, but right now I feel like my lower front tooth are peeling. I can feel a white powder type thing whenever I touch the tooth with my tongue. I cannot bite from my upper front tooth plus after the trauma I could not take care of them properly because I feel too much pain whenever I brush. I need your help. Please guide me on what to do? How can I fix my problem? I am very much tensed.

#

I understand your concern and have gone through your clinical picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Please do not be tensed. This can be treated.

White powder substance in your lower front tooth is called calculus. Food deposits or plaque that settles on the tooth gets calcified in the long run and becomes hardened calculus deposit. Although we do a proper brushing every day, there are certain spots between teeth where the bristles fail to reach. Hence, professional tooth cleaning (scaling and polishing) is always advised once in six months.

Broken and irregular edges of your upper tooth can be fixed with a simple tooth colored aesthetic filling. Pain during brushing in the lower tooth could be from the impact and damage caused during the accident. Get an x-ray taken to check the status of tooth, gums and its underlying bone and ligament.

Blacks spots on the teeth are the initial stages of tooth decay. Get them filled at once before it advances and gives you pain.

Visit your nearest dentist and get a dental examination done. You will require:

1. Scaling and polishing procedure to remove calculus.

2. Composite fillings for an upper front tooth and lower left back molar.

3. X-ray for your lower front tooth to check its health and stability.

| 

How can a gap between teeth be adjusted after cap placement?

Query: Hello doctor, I just recently had an RCT and crown placed on the upper front tooth. Now, there is a gap between my two front teeth. Can the crown be adjusted now?  Read Full »

What is the treatment for stone in the urinary tract?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a 3.4 mm urinary stone. I have been having continuous pain in my lower right abdomen. The doctor suggested me tablets Pantocid, Nurokind, and Hifenac SR. Can I take these medications?  Read Full »

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »