Q. I found a red tissue growth in my extracted wisdom tooth socket. What is it?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Oct 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I got my wisdom tooth extracted a few weeks ago, and I am concerned about a piece of red tissue growth in my socket. I am not sure if it is just a new forming tissue. Please clarify.

#

1. It looks like a piece of surrounding gum or gingival tissue remaining after extraction.

2. I wanted to know when did you notice this for the first time? Was it not there right after extraction, or did you not notice?

3. From photograph/your attachment, it does not look like anything major. (attachment removed to protect patients identity).

4. If you feel pain or sensitivity in it, I would suggest you consult your dentist. He will remove it from the site, and it will not interfere any more.

5. Just keep a notice of whether it is increasing or decreasing in size or any color changes.

6. Avoid very hot and spicy food at least from that side for some time.

7. Report me if you notice any changes.

Follow up after a week.

I do not think it was there after extraction. I noticed a reddish area directly behind my tooth, but then it appeared. There is no pain, and it seems to be a little lighter, not so red anymore. Here is a picture, it does look as though it has attached itself to my gum on the right side.

#

I saw the pictures (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

1. It does not look anything serious from the symptoms till now, so I do not want to terrify you without any reason.

2. I would surely suggest you keep regular notice and keep reporting if there is an increase or decrease in size and color changes. If you notice any change, then I would surely suggest you for a biopsy.

3. For now, just avoid hard brushing, hot food, spicy or hard food, and carbonated drinks for some time. Keep that area clean.

Follow up after a week.

I fear that my teeth are going to fall out due to receding gums. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I have receding gums, and they are sore as well. Two of the teeth are wobbly, and I am terrified they are going to fall out. I am only 19 years old. I brush and floss my teeth twice a day. I used to smoke. Since I have noticed my teeth issue, I quit smoking. Please help me. I am desperat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your complaint, it looks like you have deep gum infection and it is causing loss of attachment of teeth to gums making them loose. As you are a smoker, it causes the gum health to deter even faster. When there is a recession, only home remedies will not be sufficie...  Read Full

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Actually, you have gum infection (gingivitis). It is common and curable. First thing if there is any hard deposit then you should see your dentist for a professional dental cleaning. Maintain proper oral hygiene like two times brushing, flossing at least once a day, do...  Read Full